A leg cramp is a painful condition caused due to the sudden contraction of your calf muscle.
Common Causes of Leg Cramps
- Overstrain of the muscle due to physical exercise or work.
- Doing strenuous exercise without prior warming up.
- Deficiency of minerals like potassium, calcium or magnesium.
- Lack of blood supply.
- Certain conditions like dehydration, lumbar stenosis, pregnancy, diabetes, thyroid issues, diarrhea, kidney problems, can make you more prone to cramps.
- Medications treating blood pressure, cholesterol, steroids, diuretics, oral contraceptives, etc.
Symptoms of Leg Cramps
- Pain and discomfort, which last for few seconds to minutes.
- Hardness and soreness of the affected muscle.
Management of Leg Cramps
- Stop the activity you are doing and try to hold the affected area tightly.
- If possible do mild massage and stretch the muscle.
- Give hot compress with a towel dipped in hot water or soak the affected part in a hot water tub.
- Make sure you are hydrated well before starting exercise.
- Avoid consumption of caffeinated/ aerated drinks which may dehydrate you. Instead, drink a glass of warm milk.
- Consume potassium-rich foods like banana, green leafy vegetables, avocado, mushroom, etc.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Leg Cramps
- You can massage the affected muscle with warm sesame oil or mahanarayana taila.
- Internally, you can take yogaraja guggulu, Dashamoola churna,
- If you have calcium deficiency,you can take supplements like kukkutandatvak bhasma, Pravala pishti.
- Avoid constipation by taking Triphala, Avipattikar churna, Haritaki churna.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.