Measles is a viral infection which usually affects children. It is highly contagious, but preventable by timely vaccination.
Measles spreads through droplet infection from infected person to you, when they sneeze or during coughing or while talking.
Symptoms of Measles
You will notice the below symptoms after 10-14 days from the day of exposure.
- Cold and cough.
- Sore throat.
- Irritation and redness in the eyes.
- Tiny white spots inside the buccal cavity known as Koplik spots.
- Skin rashes.
Dos and Don’ts
- Keep yourself isolated from others to prevent the spread of disease.
- Vaccinate other children in the family.
- Take proper medication to reduce fever.
- Give yourself complete rest.
Home Remedies for Measles
- Include raisins and pomegranate in your routine diet.
- Avoid dehydration by drinking fluids. Boil one liter of water with musta, Coriander and cumin seeds. Take few sips every hour.
- Drink Tulsi- ginger tea once or twice a day.
- Do steam inhalation to reduce congestion.
- Eat light and easily digestible foods like rice/barley gruel seasoned with jeera and pepper.
- You can apply honey on Koplik spots.
- You can apply Chandana to relieve irritation from the rashes.
Ayurvedic Management of Measles
- Maha sudarshan churna, Shadangadi churna, Dashamoola, Yashtimadhu, Guluchyadi Kashayam and Sitopaladi churna are beneficial.
- Boil few Neem leaves or Neem powder and few pinches of Turmeric in water and use for bathing
- Boil 1 tsp of Yashtimadhu or Triphala powder in a glass of water. When it is lukewarm add ½ tsp of honey, gargle your mouth and
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.