Restless leg syndrome (RLS) is a nervous disorder that affects leg movements during rest. RLS can occur at any age even during childhood. Even though it is not a serious disease it may affect your sleep and day to day activities.Causes of Restless Leg Syndrome
Symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome
- Certain diseases like Parkinson’s, diabetic neuropathy, insomnia, iron deficiency, kidney failure.
- Few medications like antipsychotics, antidepressants, antihistamines, etc.
- During pregnancy.
- Alcohol abuse and stress.
- Uncontrollable urge to move your legs during sleep or while sitting for a long duration.
- Condition aggravates during evening and night time.
- Movements decrease during walking, stretching and other exercises.
- Pulling or throbbing pain in the legs.
- Crawling or creeping sensation.
- Fatigue and disturbed sleep.
- Alcohol and caffeinated drinks may aggravate the condition.
Ayurvedic Management of Restless Leg Syndrome
- If you have an iron deficiency, take iron rich foods like green leafy vegetables, raisins, figs, jaggery, sesame seeds, etc. You can also take proper supplements like dhatri loha, punarnava mandura, Xerfer capsules, etc.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol, tea, and coffee.
- Take warm water bath before going to sleep.
- Do regular massage with Ksheerabala thailam or Sahacharadi taila and hot compress to relax your leg muscles. This will also reduce pain in your legs.
- Exercise daily moderately. Avoid strenuous exercise during evening time or before going to bed.
- Manage your stress by practicing yoga and meditation.
Ayurvedic medicines like Sahacharadi kashayam, Dhanadanayanadi kashayam, Dhanwantaram kashayam, Ashwagandha, Kapikacchu churna
You can undergo treatments like Abhyanga, Shirodhara, Pizhichil, Swedana, Basti, etc., which are also effective.