A canker sore or mouth ulcer is medically termed as aphthous stomatitis. It is a painful, open, white or yellowish wound occurring in your oral cavity in clusters. It usually occurs inside your lips, cheeks and on the tongue.Causes of Canker Sores
Signs and Symptoms of Canker Sores
- Injury while brushing or chewing hard food items.
- Certain chemical based toothpaste and mouthwash.
- Nutritional deficiency like Vitamin B-12, folic acid, zinc and iron deficiency.
- Hormonal variations.
- Consuming more chocolates, nuts, sour and spicy foods.
- Stress and anxiety.
- Few diseases like HIV, IBS, peptic ulcer, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease make you more susceptible to mouth ulcers.
Management of Canker Sores
- Pain and burning sensation.
- Oval shaped white or yellowish wound surrounded by a red margin. It usually heals within 10-14 days.
- Swollen lymph nodes.
- Mild rise in your body temperature.
Triphala Powder for Detoxification
- Boil 1 tsp of Triphala or Yashtimadhu powder in a glass of water. Allow it cool, filter and add ½ tsp of honey. Rinse your oral cavity with this solution twice daily.
- Mix a pinch of Yashtimadhu powder with ghee and honey. Apply on the sore directly.
- Avoid eating spicy, salted and hard foods. Prefer liquid or semi-solid foods.
- Dip a tea bag in lukewarm water, squeeze excess water and place it over the ulcer for few minutes.
- Internally, Khadiradi vati, Kamadugha rasa, Triphala kashaya can be taken.
- Improves digestion and relieves constipation
- Boosts metabolism and regulates cholesterol
- Useful in treatment of pre diabetes and obesity
- Good eye tonic.
- Heals wounds on external application
- Has anti oxidant properties
having quality of laxative, astringents, lubricant ant parasitical, antispasmodic and nervine properties.Amalaki:
Having quality of cooing tonic, astringents, mildly laxative, anti pyretic, highest source of natural vitamin cBibhitaki:
Good for astringents deceptive and auto spasmodic, balance excess muscles. Prevention of Canker Sores
- Use herbal toothpaste and avoid chemical based toothpaste or mouthwash.
- Brush gently with a soft bristle toothbrush. Do oil pulling regularly.
- Take supplements like Dhatri loha and Chyawanprash.
- Make sure your bowel movements are clear. Avoid constipation by taking Avipattikar churna, Triphala or Trivrut churna.
- Soak few raisins in water overnight and eat them on an empty stomach next morning.
- Eat healthy foods and include more fruits and vegetables in your diet.
- Avoid frequent consumption of coffee, tea, chocolates, chips, pineapple, and other foods which trigger ulcers.
- Stop alcohol consumption and smoking.
Consult your physician immediately if you suffer from repeated large ulcers, which last more than 2 weeks.