E.coli stands for Escherichia coli, a bacteria which lives in the intestine of human beings and animals. Some strains of E.coli causes various infections like stomach upset, urinary tract infection, etc.
Causes of E.coli
- Consumption of contaminated food and water.
- Eating uncooked or improperly cooked meat.
- Drinking unpasteurised milk.
- Not washing hands properly after using rest room.
- Swimming in pools with contaminated water.
- Infected pets can spread infection to you.
- Decreased immune level will make your more susceptible.
Symptoms of E.coli
- Watery or bloody diarrhoea.
- Abdominal cramps.
- Delay in treatment may lead to kidney failure and death.
Management of E.coli
- Include sufficient amount of fluids like gruel, soups, buttermilk and pomegranate juice.
- Drink sufficient warm water or boiled and cooled water.
- Boil Musta, jeera, Coriander seeds and shunti in water and keep on drinking few sips every hour to prevent dehydration and abdominal cramps ( Shunti should be avoided in bloody diarrhoea).
- Eat soft, light and easily digestible foods.
- Avoid milk and its products, alcohol and aerated beverages.
- Take proper bed rest.
- Avoid taking antibiotics and antidiarrhoeal medicines.
Ayurvedic Management of E.coli
The following ayurvedic medicines are beneficial:
Dhanvanthari gulika can be taken to reduce abdominal cramps
DHANWANTHARI GULIKA TABLET also known as Dhanwantharam gulika is an ayurvedic medicine in tablet form. It serves as a first aid in the treatment of indigestion.
It acts mainly on the vata dosha. Causes vatanulomana – restores normal pathway of vata
Dosage:1 or 2 pills can be chewed or taken with water or jeera water.
Prevention of E.coli
- Wash your hands well after using the rest room and after coming home from public places.
- Avoid eating roadside food and drinks.
- Cook your food properly.
- Use pasteurised milk.
- Drink filtered or boiled and cooled water.
- Wash fruits and vegetables well.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.