Kidney Diseases can be treated with Ayurveda. Let us find out how.
Kidney diseases are explained in Ayurveda and Ayurvedic treatment under mutra vaha sroto dushti, mutraghata, mutrakrcchra, ashmari and prameha. There are various kidney diseases and one among them is CKD- Chronic kidney disease. The question is whether there is Ayurvedic treatment for kidney failure? In this article we will find out more about Ayurvedic treatment for kidney disease as well as Ayurvedic treatment for chronic kidney disease.What is chronic kidney disease and how can Ayurvedic treatment help?
Chronic kidney disease is also called chronic kidney failure. It is a condition in which the kidneys fail to adequately filter waste products from the blood. Your kidneys filter wastes and excess fluids from your blood which are then excreted in your urine. When chronic kidney disease reaches an advanced stage, dangerous levels of fluid, electrolytes and wastes can build up in your body. Chronic kidney failure may be progressive and irreversible.What are the causes for chronic kidney disease?
What are the factors that increase your risk of chronic kidney disease?
- Uncontrolled diabetes and high blood pressure
- Autoimmune diseases like HIV
- Genetic diseases like polycystic kidney disease
- Injuries to kidney
- Prolonged intake of some medicines
- Interstitial nephritis, an inflammation of the kidney’s tubules and surrounding structures
- Prolonged obstruction of the urinary tract, from conditions such as enlarged prostate, kidney stones and some cancers
- Vesicoureteral reflux, a condition that causes urine to back up into your kidneys
- Recurrent kidney infection, also called pyelonephritis
What are the symptoms of chronic kidney disease and can Ayurvedic treatment prevent it?
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- High cholesterol
- Family history of kidney disease
Chronic kidney disease develops slowly. Initially there may be no symptoms. Below symptoms develop gradually once the accumulation of the waste products begin in the body.
How can chronic kidney disease be diagnosed?
- Loss of appetite , bad taste in the mouth
- Vomiting and diarrohea
- Weight loss and weakness
- Variation in the frequency of urination
- Blood in the urine, foamy or bubbly urine
- Swelling of the legs, ankles, feet, face and hands
- Difficulty in sleeping, lethargy and confusion
- Darkening of the skin, itching
- Shortness of breath due to extra fluid in the lungs
- Abnormal heart rhythms
The diagnosis of kidney failure usually is made by blood tests measuring Blood Urea Nitrogen (BUN), creatinine and glomerular filtration rate (GFR) and it can be treated with Ayurvedic medicine. That should also answer your doubt about whether you can have Ayurvedic medicine for kidney creatinine.How can chronic kidney disease be treated using Ayurveda?
The goal of treatment is to prevent or further slow down the damage to your kidneys. Treatment of the underlying cause of kidney failure may return kidney function to normal.
If the kidneys fail completely, the only treatment options available may be dialysis or kidney transplantation.Is Ayurveda safe for Chronic Kidney Disease patients?
It is a commonly feared fact that Ayurvedic medicines contain heavy metals and are not suitable for certain medical conditions!
- There are various Ayurvedic medicines which help to prevent the further deterioration of your kidneys.
- They may also help decrease the frequency of dialysis.
- Ayurvedic treatments significantly correct albuminuria and serum creatinine value and improve the renal function.
Ayurvedic medicines are usually safe and well-tolerated when prescribed by a qualified and knowledgeable Ayurvedic practitioner. However, some Ayurvedic preparations may risk toxicity when they are not manufactured according to the standards. Most of the time, people go by advertisements while buying medicines, instead of consulting qualified Ayurvedic doctors.
Few Ayurvedic medicines contain heavy metals called Rasaoushadis. These medicines are prepared after performing vigorous purifying techniques described in the Ayurvedic texts. There is a lot of research done at different levels to prove that a medicine is safe. Ayurvedic medicines have dosage and one must adhere to it. It is always safe to consult an eminent ayurvedic practitioner before taking any medicines.Below are the Ayurvedic formulations which are beneficial in Chronic Kidney Disease-
- Kashayams – Dashamoola kashayam, Punarnavadi kashayam, Mustadi kashayam and Brithyadi kashayam.
- Tablets – Punarnavadi guggulu, Gokshuradi guggulu and Chandra prabha vati.
If CKD is caused due to uncontrolled blood sugar the following medicines are effective-
- Nisa katakadi kashayam or Kataka kadhiradi kashayam.
- Triphala and Musta churna- Mix Triphala churna and musta churna in equal proportion. Boil 1 tsp of churna in 1 glass of water and reduce to half glass. Drink twice a day before meals.
- Nisha amalaki churna paniya- Soak 1 tsp of nisha amalaki churna in 1 glass of water overnight and drink next day morning in empty stomach.
- Used in the Ayurvedic treatment of urinary tract infection, urinary calculus and difficulty n micturition.
- Relieves constipation, bloating and abdominal colic.
- Treats Diabetes
- Improves strength, natural aphrodisiac and anti ageing medicine.
- Also treats abnormalities of the respiratory tract, seminal and gynaecological problems.
- Balances the three dosas.
2 tablets with warm water, twice daily or as prescribed by the physician.Click here to buy Chandraprabha Vati
Herbal teas that strengthen your kidneys
Here is a warning for those habitual pill-poppers!
- Grind and mix equal amount of musta, fennel seeds, cumin and coriander seeds. Boil 1 tsp of this powder in 1 glass of water and reduce to half glass. Drink twice a day.
- Prepare a mixture of Punarnava- 1 part, gokshura- 1 part, fennel seed – 1 part. Take 1 tsp of this mixture 2 or 3 times a day after meals with warm water.
Over-use of any drug may cause kidney damage. A drug that causes damage to the kidneys is called as a ‘nephrotoxic drug.’ Any sort of damage to the kidneys can make them inefficient to filter out the toxins it is exposed to everyday. These toxins then start accumulating in various tissues of the body and can even cause death. Most people are habitual pill -poppers, assuming nothing untoward will ever happen to them. A study highlighted that use of over-the-counter and prescription medications accounts for about 20 percent of cases of acute renal failure.Improper and prolonged use of Allopathic drugs may damage your kidneys. Be aware!
- Pain killers or analgesics and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID) may lead to end stage kidney disease.
- Certain drugs used in high blood pressure, anticonvulsants, malaria-treating drugs, and certain antibiotics have shown to favour renal failure.
- Chemotherapy drugs
- People who are diabetic or have cardiovascular diseases often take multiple medications which increase their chances of kidney damage
- Intake of few dietary supplements may also be a cause.