Black nightshade is known as Kakamachi in Sanskrit and Makkoy in Hindi. The botanical name of this plant is Solanum nigrum, belonging to the family Solanaeceae. Black nightshade is used as an ingredient in several Ayurvedic medicines. Either the fruit or the whole plant is used for the same.
- It pacifies all the 3 doshas
- Purifies the blood and wards away skin diseases.
- Cures fever, cough, skin diseases, low digestive fire, hiccup, oedema and toxicity.
- The herb serves to be a hepato protective, anti-inflammatory, cardiac tonic, anti -bacterial, anti- spasmodic and laxative.
Medicinal Uses and Home Remedies with Black Nightshade
- Oedema: The fresh juice extracted from the whole plant has to be heated till the green colour disappears. 15 ml of this juice can be taken daily which will serve as an effective laxative as well as reduce oedema, due to its diuretic properties
- Fever: The leaves are useful in fevers. Syrup of the fruit can be given, or hot infusion of the dried leaves can be given.
- Stomach disorders: Raw juice of the leaves can be used in case of flatulence, peptic ulcer ad other stomach disorders. An infusion of the plant is useful in dysentery.
- Asthma: The fruits of this plant are beneficial in treating asthma as it removes the catarrhal matter and phlegm from the bronchial tubes.
- Skin diseases: The juice extracted from the plant can be given in doses of 180-210 ml.
- The juice can also be applied locally on the affected parts in chronic skin diseases like acne, psoriasis and eczema.
- A decoction of the plant can be used for washing inflamed, irritated and painful parts of the body, as it serves as a good analgesic.
- Green fruits of this plant are found to be very effective in treating ring worms.
- A juice or poultice of leaves can be applied on eruptive skin diseases, whitlow and burns to get beneficial results.
6. Cough: The cooked leaves, of this plant can be consumed to get relief from cough.
7. In hepatomegaly: The whole plant is said to be beneficial in treating hepatomegaly and its associated complaints.
8. In chicken pox and small pox: The decoction of this plant can be taken thrice daily.
Churna: 3-6 gms.
Swarasa: 5-10 drops."
Use herbs with caution!
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.