Defective eye sight is known as dhrishti dosha in Ayurveda.
Here are some tips to keep your eyes healthy and clean.
- A good diet is a must for improving eyesight:
- Have tomatoes, papaya, and carrots for Vit-A
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach increase haemoglobin and aid good eyesight.
- Eat almonds daily to enhance vision.
- Consume a mixture of cardamom seeds (elaichi) with 1tbsp of honey daily.
Ayurvedic Eye Care
- Extract the juice of fresh amla and drink 20ml twice daily.
- Mix 1tsp of powdered asparagus in half tsp of honey. Take the mixture twice daily with warm cow’s milk.
- Bhringaraj (Eclipta alba) is a beneficial herb. When bhringaraj herb oil or paste is applied over eyes, it helps to improve vision.
- Triphala is netrya rasayana according to Ayurveda. It should be consumed with honey and pure ghee (ghee and honey in unequal proportions) at night time. Put 1 tbsp of triphala powder in a glass of water and keep it overnight, next morning strain the water, wash eyes with it.
- “Jeevanthyadi ghritam” should be consumed regularly at night time.
- “Saptaamrutha loha” is an effective medicine to maintain a healthy vision and also to prevent further decline in eye health.
- NETRA VASTI/TARPANA: In this process medicated oil or ghee (triphaladi ghritam) is poured inside a wall constructed of black gram flour around the eyes, while eyes are closed for a specific time. Netra tarpana gives nourishment to the eyes; it has preventive as well as curative effect. It strengthens eye muscles and enables clarity of vision.
- ANJANA: application of medicated kajal to the eyes reduces tired eyes and helps to cool them down. People who work on the computer for long hours should get this therapy done.
- Ayurveda also suggests, meditating by focusing on the flame of a candle to improve eyesight. There are several other therapies in Ayurveda which will help you to restore your vision and prevent decline in eyesight.
Tips To Rejuvenate Your Eyes:
- Potatoes are used for keeping eyes healthy. Take small slices of potato and put it over your eyes Leave them for 10-15 minutes. This will keep eyes stress free and lustrous.
- Applying cucumber slices over eyes for several minutes can be effective. Keep rose water /cold water packs on closed eyes in summer.
- Look away at short intervals to keep away from straining eyes.
- Rub a small amount of ghee on the soles of the feet to improve eyesight.
- Avoid close work during and after meals: close work draws blood to the eyes, instead of being useful for digestion, thus causing lack of nutrients to the eyes, weakens the eye muscles.
- Do not wash the eyes or face when the body is sweating, especially after hard physical exercises or after being exposed to heat or sun.
- Always maintain regular and clean bowel movements as constipation weakens eyesight.
- Healthy liver is linked to healthy eyes. The liver sends energy nerve impulses, blood to the eyes therefore a clean blood stream and healthy functioning liver help to heal and strengthen eyes.
Eye Exercises Beneficial for Eye Sight
- Look as far as possible, inhale, look down and then blink a dozen times.
- Warm your hands by rubbing them together now cover the eyes without touching the eyelids. This relaxes nerves and also increases blood circulation.
- Rotate your eyeball slowly and steadily in all directions with eyes shut, several times a day.
Best Ayurvedic Medicine for Eye Health