Defective eye sight is known as dhrishti dosha in Ayurveda.
Here are some tips to keep your eyes healthy and clean.
- A good diet is a must for improving eyesight:
- Have tomatoes, papaya, and carrots for Vit-A
- Green leafy vegetables like spinach increase haemoglobin and aid good eyesight.
- Eat almonds daily to enhance vision.
- Consume a mixture of cardamom seeds (elaichi) with 1tbsp of honey daily.
Ayurvedic Eye Care
- Extract the juice of fresh amla and drink 20ml twice daily.
- Mix 1tsp of powdered asparagus in half tsp of honey. Take the mixture twice daily with warm cow’s milk.
- Bhringaraj (Eclipta alba) is a beneficial herb. When bhringaraj herb oil or paste is applied over eyes, it helps to improve vision.
- Triphala is netrya rasayana according to Ayurveda. It should be consumed with honey and pure ghee (ghee and honey in unequal proportions) at night time. Put 1 tbsp of triphala powder in a glass of water and keep it overnight, next morning strain the water, wash eyes with it.
- “Jeevanthyadi ghritam” should be consumed regularly at night time.
- “Saptaamrutha loha” is an effective medicine to maintain a healthy vision and also to prevent further decline in eye health.
- NETRA VASTI/TARPANA: In this process medicated oil or ghee (triphaladi ghritam) is poured inside a wall constructed of black gram flour around the eyes, while eyes are closed for a specific time. Netra tarpana gives nourishment to the eyes; it has preventive as well as curative effect. It strengthens eye muscles and enables clarity of vision.
- ANJANA: application of medicated kajal to the eyes reduces tired eyes and helps to cool them down. People who work on the computer for long hours should get this therapy done.
- Ayurveda also suggests, meditating by focusing on the flame of a candle to improve eyesight. There are several other therapies in Ayurveda which will help you to restore your vision and prevent decline in eyesight.
Tips To Rejuvenate Your Eyes:
- Potatoes are used for keeping eyes healthy. Take small slices of potato and put it over your eyes Leave them for 10-15 minutes. This will keep eyes stress free and lustrous.
- Applying cucumber slices over eyes for several minutes can be effective. Keep rose water /cold water packs on closed eyes in summer.
- Look away at short intervals to keep away from straining eyes.
- Rub a small amount of ghee on the soles of the feet to improve eyesight.
- Avoid close work during and after meals: close work draws blood to the eyes, instead of being useful for digestion, thus causing lack of nutrients to the eyes, weakens the eye muscles.
- Do not wash the eyes or face when the body is sweating, especially after hard physical exercises or after being exposed to heat or sun.
- Always maintain regular and clean bowel movements as constipation weakens eyesight.
- Healthy liver is linked to healthy eyes. The liver sends energy nerve impulses, blood to the eyes therefore a clean blood stream and healthy functioning liver help to heal and strengthen eyes.
Eye Exercises Beneficial for Eye Sight
- Look as far as possible, inhale, look down and then blink a dozen times.
- Warm your hands by rubbing them together now cover the eyes without touching the eyelids. This relaxes nerves and also increases blood circulation.
- Rotate your eyeball slowly and steadily in all directions with eyes shut, several times a day.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.