Obesity is a condition where you have excess fat accumulation in your body, which precipitate the chance of metabolic diseases, cardiac diseases, diabetes and hypertension.
Obesity is known as sthoulya according to Ayurveda,where there is aggravation of kapha dosha in rasa dhatu along with the aggravation of medo dhatu.
Causes of Obesity
- Hereditary factor
- Intake of high calorie diet and unhealthy food habits
- physical inactivity/ sedentary lifestyle
- Endocrine diseases like hypothyroidism, PCOS and other hormonal diseases
- Certain medications like antipsychotic drugs, steroids, etc.
- Emotional disturbance, stress, lack of sleep and pregnancy
Home Remedies for Obesity
Here are some of very simple home remedies and lifestyle changes:
- Drink a bottle of YAKULT everyday (It’s a probiotic drink available in all good departmental stores) or homemade buttermilk. It repairs your digestion and builds up the good bacteria in your stomach.
- Drink enough warm water every day.
- Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night. Avoid day sleep and sleeping immediately after food. Finish your dinner 2 hours before going to bed.
- Brisk Walk for at least 30-45 minutes every day at least 5 days in a week.
- Ensure that you do not have constipation. If you have, add more soluble fibre in your diet.
- Practise Deep breathing and meditation 10-15 minutes every day.
- Reduce Carbohydrates in your diet and increase good fats and proteins in your diet. Eat a balanced meal.
- Fruits and vegetables having bitter taste should be consumed more. Avoid potatoes, sweet potatoes.
- Yogurt, oily foods, chocolates, ice creams, dairy products and non vegetarian food intake should be minimised.
- Vitamin C helps to diminish stomach fat. Have gooseberry, orange, lemon, papaya, green leafy vegetables, cabbage and cauliflower regularly.
- Avoid drastic/ unhealthy/ unrealistic diet changes
- Replace white rice with brown rice/whole wheat. Include oats, barley, millets in your diet.
- Avoid repeated snacking/munching. Maintain at least 4-5 hours gap between main meals.
You could also try the following Ayurvedic formulations, along with the recommended home remedies and lifestyle changes:
- Medohar active capsules
- Obeslim and Garcinia cambogia capsules. Garcinia cambogia is an amazing herb, which is extensively used by ayurvedic physicians as one of the most effective natural medication for reducing excess body weight.
- Triphala churna, Guggulu, pathyadi churna
Recommended Exercises and Yoga asanas for Weight Loss
Most important is exercise. Perform aerobic exercises, stomach and abdominal crunches. Here are some yogasanas that can help you lose abdominal fat:
Please consult an experienced yoga guru for better guidance on the best asanas for losing weight.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.