Dec 15 , 2018
Tingling sensation or stiffness or numbness can be caused by a lot of issues:
- Burn (heat or fire): Burns that are caused by heat are called thermal burn. They cause pain, swelling, skin changes, blisters and more.
- Cauda equina syndrome: Cauda equina syndrome occurs when a bundle of nerves at the lower end of the spinal cord becomes compressed.
- Cervical spondylosis: Cervical spondylosis is arthritis of the neck, pain and stiffness in the neck, shoulder, arm, or chest.
- Chagas disease: Chagas disease is caused by a tropical parasite and can cause fever, sickly feeling, and swelling around the eye.
- Chemical burns: A chemical burn can cause symptoms ranging from burning and blisters to pain and shortness of breath.
- Giant cell arteritis (temporal arteritis): Giant cell arteritis is a blood vessel condition causing headaches located near temples and flu like symptoms.
- Intracranial hematoma: An intracranial hematoma occurs after a head injury and causes headache, drowsiness, confusion, and more.
- Lead poisoning: Lead poisoning causes sudden pain on either side of the lower back, urinary issues, nausea, fever, and chills.
- Lumbar spinal stenosis: Lumbar spinal stenosis is a condition that can cause pain in the lower back, buttocks, legs, and feet.
- Lyme disease: Lyme disease is a bacterial infection spread through tick bites; symptoms include rash, fever chills, and more.
- Multiple sclerosis: Multiple sclerosis is a disease of the nervous system causing difficulties with balance, speech, and movement.
- Muscle strain: Muscle strain occurs when muscles are stressed, overworked, or injured due to physical activity or labor.
- Myasthenia gravis: Myasthenia gravis is caused by abnormal immune responses that weaken muscles, particularly of the face.
- Peripheral neuropathy: Peripheral neuropathy is a nerve condition of the extremities causing numbness, tingling, and pain.
- Porphyria: Porphyria is a condition that can affect the nerves and skin, making the skin extremely sensitive to sunlight.
- Pseudohypoparathyroidism: Pseudohypoparathyroidism is a rare inherited condition that can lead to cramps, muscle spasms, and more.
- Spinal tumor: Spinal tumors can cause back pain, weakness, and numbness in the legs and arms, and more serious issues.
- Stroke: A stroke occurs when blood and oxygen to the brain are cut off, and causes numbness, confusion, and more.
- Thoracic spinal stenosis: This results in backpain and pain in the lower extremities, loss of bowel and/or bladder function, etc.
- Transient ischemic attack (mini-stroke): Transient ischemic attacks cause headache, numbness, tingling, or weakness in the face, arm, or leg, and more.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency: Vitamin B12 deficiency symptoms include fatigue, pale skin, weakness, sleepiness, numbness, weakness, and more.
Wernicke syndrome: Wernicke’s encephalopathy can cause confusion, lack of muscle coordination, and vision problems.
Signs and Symptoms
In cervical spondylosis pain is presented in two forms:
- Confined to neck only (upper cervical).
- Radiating to the arms (lower cervical).
- In the chronic phase, the patient complains of pain which may be worse at night and after neck movement.
- Morning stiffness is a characteristic feature.
- The disease is exaggerated in cold weather.
- There may be tingling and numbness along the arms. This is due to compression of the nerves by protrusion of the disc.
- Vertigo is common.
In lumbar spondylosis
- Disc protrusion at lumbar level may lead to paralysis of legs and urinary blabber,
- In severe cases pain may start from lumbar region and radiate throughout the leg,
- Lifting of weights in standing position may lead to attack of lumbago,
- Pain is worse at night and after back movements,
- There may be tingling and numbness along lower back,
- Urinary retention is the main problem.
In sciatica, the pain starts from the lower back and radiates to hip, thigh, leg and feet. There is sensory and motor loss across the leg.
- X-rays can show bone spurs on vertebral bodies in the spine, thickening of the facet joints (the joints that connect the vertebrae to each other), and narrowing of the intervertebral disc spaces.
- CT scans of the spine are able to visualize the spine in greater detail and can diagnose narrowing of the spinal canal (spinal stenosis) when present.
- MRI scans show the greatest detail in the spine, and are used to visualize the intervertebral discs, including the degree of disc herniation, if present. An MRI is also utilised to visualize the vertebrae, the facet joints, the nerves, and the ligaments in the spine and rationally diagnose a pinched nerve.
- Electro-diagnostic tests: Nerve Conduction Velocity or NCV, and Electromyography or EMG are used to diagnose cause of shoulder and neck pain, pain in the arm, tingling and numbness.
Available treatments fall into several categories:
- Adjunctive therapies (chiropractics and acupuncture),
- Minimally invasive procedures such as injections,
- Physical therapy,
- Self-care exercise.
- Extension ad flexion exercises are recommended.
- For weakness and parasthesia in the arms, Ekangveerrasa, one tablet, twice a day is given for seven days.
- Gentle massage with Vishagarbha taila is helpful in reducing morning stiffness.
- Mahayograja guggul is the drug of choice of treatment of cervical spondylosis. Two tablets, twice a day, are recommended with hot water.
- Treatment is best by immobilisation of the neck in flexion in a cervical collar.
- Cervilon corrects the dehydration of the intervertebral disks
- Cervilon thus arrests the degenerative changes of the cervical spine
- Cervilon helps to strengthen the para-vertebral muscles of the neck
- Cervilon helps to relieve myo-fascial spasm
- Cervilon also provides mild anti-inflammatory action
- Dosage: 1 tablet after meals with warm water.
- Bed rest is of prime importance.
- Extreme case may require hospital admission.
- Prasarni-taila is official Ayurvedic remedy for massage in lumbago.
- The treatment is same as that of cervical spondylosis.
Lumbaton for Lumbar Support, Sciatica & Lower Back Pain
Mode of action:
- Lumbaton halts the degeneration.
- Lumbaton rehabilitates the spinal muscles.
- Lumbaton improves the ability of the disc to expand.
- Lumbaton restores mobility.
Dosage: 1 tablet after meals with warm water.