Dry eye is a condition where there is an inadequate production of tears in your eyes leading to irritation. Even decrease in the quality of tears also leads to dry eyes. It is termed as keratoconjunctivitis.
Causes of Dry Eyes
- Ageing and menopause.
- Certain medications like antihistamines, decongestants, antihypertensives, oral contraceptives,
- Facial palsy and other conditions, which make you unable to close your eyes completely.
- Few conditions like Vitamin A deficiency, thyroid disorder, diabetes, abnormal tear glands.
- Post-refractive error correction surgery.
- Exposure to dry air, smoke, and wind.
- Being in air-conditioned room for long time.
- Wearing contact lens.
- Concentrating on electronic screen for longer duration without blinking.
Signs and Symptoms
- Pricking or burning sensation of your eyes.
- Redness of the eyes.
- Foreign body sensation.
- Discomfort in wearing contact lens.
- Difficulty in night time driving.
- Blurred vision.
Ayurvedic Management of Dry Eyes
- Cleanse your eyelids and lashes with mild soap and water or use water boiled with Triphala churnam.
- Cover your eyes with a clean cotton warm cloth.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin A and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Apply castor oil on your eyes and lashes before going to sleep.
- Avoid exposure to dry wind, smoke. Stop smoking.
- Avoid staring at the electronic screens for longer duration. Take a break in between and do 20-20-20 rule eye exercise.
- If you are working in front of the computer, make sure it is below your eye level.
- Dip a piece of cotton in clean rose water, place it over your eyes and relax.
- Do regular oil massage to your head.
- Make sure you get adequate rest. Sleep at least 7-8 hours daily.
Ayurvedic treatments like Nasya, Tarpana, Aschyotana and Seka are very effective.Internally you can take Jeevaniya ghrita, Triphala ghrita, Amalaki churna, Triphala churna with honey and ghee.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.