Slip Disc herniation is commonly known as slipped disc, a condition affecting the intervertebral discs of the spine.
Slip disc is only one of the several conditions affecting the spinal column, the others being disc bulge, disc degeneration with or without osteophyte formation and disc thinning.
The slipped disc is that one which has peeped out of its original space and puts a pressure on the nerves arising out of the vertebral column.
The pain is due to the nerve root compression. Ayurvedic treatment for slip disc employs to heal the nerves affected by the herniated disc and to relieve the muscular spasm as well.
Symptoms of Slip Disc
Symptoms vary according to the site of herniation and can occur in different places
Symptoms of a slipped disc in the neck:
- Pain in the neck, shoulders, and arms
- Numbness in part of the hand
- Radiating pain that arises from the neck and reaches to the fingers of the hands over a period of time.
- Muscle weakness in the hands
- Burning sensation in the affected area
Symptoms of a slipped disc in the back:
- Pain and numbness in the back.
- Pain that arises from the back and radiates to the legs.
- Worsening of pain while standing or sitting
- Pain even while walking for short distances
- Muscle weakness of the back and legs
- Burning sensation in the affected area
Other associated symptoms include:
- Insomnia – due to pain
- Loss of appetite – due to several pain
- Head ache or heaviness of the head
What causes a Slip Disc
- Trauma to the vertebral column – due to accidents or physical injury.
- Physically strenuous jobs or heavy exercises or riding on bumpy roads.
- Smoking and drinking
According to Ayurveda, aggravation of vata due to the above causative factors is known as the main cause for slipped disc.
Hence Ayurvedic treatment for slip disc aims at maintaining the normalcy of the vata dosha by various medications and treatment procedures.
At Nirogam, we have a non surgical option to treat slip discs. Click here to know more and get Lumbaton
How does Ayurveda help treat herniated disc naturally and safely ?
In Ayurveda, herniated disk is a condition that happens due to an imbalance of Vata element. This throws your body out of equilibrium. Ayurvedic treatment is a good way to restore the basic functional strength of your body.
The Ayurvedic healing therapies are beneficial in many ways:
- -They help in strengthening the supportive tissues that hold your spine.
- -They help release the muscular spasm and nerve compression.
- -They nourish the joints by enhancing circulation and relieve pain.
The term ‘Kativasti’ is made up of two parts – ‘Kati’ meaning the waist area of your body and ‘Vasti’ meaning a pouch like arrangement. kativasti is an Ayurvedic treatment for slip disc, where medicated oils are used on your back to treat the herniated disc condition.
The patient is made to lie down on his/her stomach on a bed. Medicated oil is spread over the lumbosacral area. After this, a reservoir or a ring is made on this lumbo-sacral region with dough made out of black gram powder. It is made sure that the ring is free of any leakage.
Medicated lukewarm oil is slowly poured into this ring. The temperature of the oil is preserved by reheating and continuously adding more oil. This is done for 30 to 40 minutes.
Later, the affected area is massaged lightly. It is followed by steaming for another 15 minutes which allows better absorption of medicated oil in your body. This process is carried over five to seven days as prescribed by the ayurvedic doctor.
How safe is Kativasti?
Kativasti is pretty safe for you. There are no side effects. This treatment is even safe for heart patients as only gentle massage is given. The only precaution to be taken is to keep the temperature of the medicated oil lukewarm to avoid blistering or scalding of skin.
Abhyanga is a process where a person is given massage in slow and rhythmic movements throughout the body from head to toe. Warm medicated oils are used by one or two massage therapists for 40 to 60 minutes. The Abhyanga is performed in seven postures in by varying pressure at different points in the body.
What are the benefits of Abhyanga?
- It harmonizes the imbalance in the body due to Vata.
- It provides nourishment and vitality to the bones, tissues, ligaments, helps reduce pain and enhances your healing capacity.
- It keeps you full of vitality, removes fatigue and relaxes your body and mind.
Kizhi involves massaging your body with poultices that are made of therapeutic herbs and medicated healing oils. These warm poultices are used to massage the body. This helps the oil to get absorbed by your body tissues, helps in eliminating accumulated toxins.
This therapy rejuvenates your body, improves blood circulation throughout the body, removes muscular fatigue, alleviates mental stress and effectively helps treat herniated disk condition as well as other joint ailments or injuries.
‘Dhanyamla’ means body and ‘Dhara’ means a continuous flow of liquid. This therapy involves pouring herbal medicated oils throughout different parts of your body. This is done by pouring warm oil from a vessel hung overhead over the affected areas of your body in a rhythm.
It is given for 45 to 60 minutes and lasts for 7 to 12 days depending on your doctor’s assessment.
This therapy helps relieve body ache and muscular spasms by boosting blood circulation. It revitalizes your body and enhances immune system immensely. It is an effective method of treating herniated disk.
Click here to know How to Cure Herniated Disc Safely
Here are Ayurvedic medicines for slip disc pain relief
Vata imbalance causes herniated disk condition. So, by correcting this imbalance, the symptoms of herniated disk get treated. the following ayurvedic remedies and medicines help treat herniated disk condition effectively. Ayurvedic medicines for slip disc are:
- Gandharvahastadi kashayam
- Take 5 gm Triphala Churna with luke warm water at bedtime daily. This will ensure the expulsion of excess Vata from your system.
- Take 5 – 10 ml of Gandharvahastadi Castor oil before food, or on empty stomach, once or twice a day or as directed by Ayurvedic doctor to relieve lower back pain.
Mode of action:
- Lumbaton halts the degeneration.
- Lumbaton rehabilitates the spinal muscles.
- Lumbaton improves the ability of the disc to expand.
- Lumbaton restores mobility.
1-2 capsules with warm water or as directed by physician.
Go for these Ayurvedic therapies and remedies for relieving the herniated disk. They are free from side effects and are an alternative to surgical procedures. Let your doctor decide upon the Ayurvedic treatment for slip disc best suited to your condition.
At Nirogam we make sure to give our readers professionally verified information that they can trust with their eyes closed. All our content is backed by studies and academic research from medical institutions & associations. Our editorial policy will give you more information about how we verify our content’s authenticity & accuracy.