Angelica herb is an extremely important medicinal herb which is primarily found growing in China as well as north east parts of India. The scientific name of angelica herb is Angelica Archangelic. This herb was first used in Chinese, Japanese and Korean herbal treatments as it helped in treating several ailments and disorders. This herb is known by many names in different parts of the world such as Dong Quai, Archangelica Officinalis, Tang-Huei, Dong Quei and Dang Qui. Angelica herb is a flowering plant. It has a sweet as well as spicy aroma and is also used for its flavor in many food dishes and beverages. The medicinal uses of angelica herb range for treating female reproductive problems, congestion in the respiratory system, diuretic and it also acts as a stimulant. In this article we will talk about the many medical uses of angelica herb.
Angelica herb can be used to improve health in several forms:
Decoction: add one teaspoon of cut root of angelica herb in a cup of water. Boil it and let it simmer for two to five minutes. Let it cool and absorb the components of cut root for fifteen minutes. Drink the decoction about three times every day.
Tincture: you can safely take twenty tincture drops of angelica herb about two times in a day.
Infusion: Make an infusion by adding one tablespoon of dried angelica herb in two and a half cup of boiling water.
Parts of angelica used in herbal treatments: The roots and the leaves contain maximum medicinal benefits and hence they are used to treat any problems. Whereas, the seeds as well as the stems are used in cooking for flavoring; also used in liquor preparation.
The parts of angelica should be quickly dried and stored in air tight containers. The angelica herb, if stored properly, can retain its medicinal value for several years.
Harvest: the roots of angelica herb is cut and stored in the fall of the first year. The leaves of angelica plant are collected at the start of summer.
The health benefits of angelica herb:
1. Angelica herb is a great herb for females who are suffering from menstrual pain as well as uterine cramping. This herb also has the properties to balance the hormones and provide relief in menopausal discomforts.
2. Angelica herb is known to be helpful in treating common problems like cold, fever, lung infection, bronchitis, as sinus problems.
3. This herb provides immense relief in clearing the congestion in the respiratory organs by thinning the phlegm. It also imparts a feeling of warmth in the body and improves blood circulation.
4. Angelica helps in preventing excess blood loss from the body by assisting in clot formation. It also acts as blood purifier and helps in blood formation. In short angelica is the amongst the best natural blood tonic.
5. It is good for digestion as it helps the food move properly through the intestines. It also aids the secretion of digestive juices.
6. It acts as a detoxification herb by helping the body remove toxins.
7. Angelica herbal tea helps reduce stress and fatigue.
1. Diabetics must avoid this herb as it increases the sugar level in urine.
2. Pregnant and lactating females should take this herb under doctor’s supervision as it has not been declared safe for them.
3. People with a history of heart attacks must avoid the use of this herb.
4. Do not combine this herb with other medications.