What exactly is Diabetes?
- Diabetes is a lifestyle disorder characterised by concentration of glucose in your blood.
- It is also known as Madhumeh in Ayurvedic science.
- Poor sugar metabolism and insulin production are often pinpointed as the causes of spikes in normal sugar level.
- When this condition continues for a prolonged period of time, it becomes a chronic disorder.
- Shilajit, Salacia oblonga, Cinnamon, Turmeric, Fenugreek, Neem, Bilva, Babool etc. are some herbs used in Ayurvedic treatment for Diabetes.
Some characteristic signs of Diabetes
- Normal blood sugar levels help your body to produce energy, run the digestive system and keep your mind alert.
- But glucose build up in the blood can starve your cells, making them incapable to perform their functions.
- This in turn can make you feel exhausted, irritable, extremely hungry or dehydrated during the day.
- In the long run, it may also increase your body weight, lower down the immunity, inhibit urinary functions and damage the skin.
- All these aspects of this disorder give you many incentives for opting the Diabetes natural treatment.
- Since it focuses on normalizing your body vitals like digestion, kidney health, skin quality etc. while curbing the blood sugar spikes.
3 unmissable symptoms of developing Diabetes
- Even though there are 4 distinct types of Diabetes, they share a similar set of bodily manifestations.
- The “3 P’s of Diabetes” are polydipsia, polyuria, and polyphagia.
- Polydipsia: Excessive dehydration and thirst, especially after consuming foods.
- Polyuria: High urinary frequency, which may cause sudden urges, abdominal pain, bladder irritation etc.
- Polyphagia: Repetitive cravings for carbohydrates. It is the reason behind Diabetic binge eating, obesity and cardiovascular disorders.
- Fortunately, you can easily curb these physical symptoms with the Ayurvedic diet for Diabetes.
- Its three pillars are judicious eating, daily exercise and herbal nourishment.
Diabetes cure: Myth or reality?
- Diabetes is a deep seated disorder that cannot be completely cured by medicine.
- However, a healthy lifestyle can make it visibly non-existent in your life.
- Ayurveda has discovered some of the best medicine for Diabetes without side effects.
- They are derived from antioxidant herbs that detoxify, nourish and rejuvenate the damaged tissues of your pancreas, kidneys and skin.
- Salacia Oblonga: This Indian herb for Diabetes is famous for its therapeutic and preventive action. It can maintain blood sugar levels and prevent Diabetes-related complications.
- Neem: It is a natural blood purifier that eliminates excess sugars, cholesterol and toxins. Neem has a positive effect on your skin, immunity and gut as well.
- Aloe Vera: It could be gentle in action, but Aloe Vera is a strong opponent of blood sugars. You can make it your weight loss buddy during winter months!
- Cinnamon: Its natural compounds increase the uptake of sugar molecules by the cells, thereby supplementing insulin functions.
- Turmeric: Curcumin is a strong antioxidant that helps to dissolve carbs into simpler molecules. This in turn alleviates fatigue and prevents blood sugar spikes.
Understanding the Causes of Diabetes
Prediabetes: An alarming condition. Can be developed as a result of poor lifestyle, daily history or ageing.
Type 1 Diabetes: It is the rarest form of Diabetes. Only 5-10% of people develop this condition in their lifetime. Two of the common causes are fast paced death of pancreatic cells and genetic heritage.
Type 2 Diabetes: Lead by unhealthy eating practices, sedentary lifestyle, mental strain and obesity. You can undertake the rigorous Ayurveda for Diabetes Type 2 treatment to nip it in the bud.
Gestational Diabetes: Affects a majority of women during pregnancy. Can be attributed to hormonal fluctuations and weight gain.
Food sugars and Diabetes: Are there any links?
- It is not clear whether Diabetes is a direct result of excess sugar consumption.
- But medical research shows that regularly consuming more than 100-150 calories of sugar per day can double your risks.
- This is so because your liver needs to produce more digestive enzymes to break down the sugar molecules.
- And these enzymes interfere with the pancreatic processes.
- They eliminate insulin molecules, making it harder for the cells to absorb the carbs from food.
- A high calorie diet also increases fat accumulation in the body, which further aggravates Diabetes symptoms.
- Ayurvedic Diabetes treatment hits at the selfsame point.
- It helps to stimulate the pancreas cells, while assisting in burning of fat from tissues.
Warning signs that show your blood sugar is high
You’re often thirsty or using the washroom: When your blood sugar level rises, the kidneys become overactive. This can make you urinate often and drink a lot of fluids.
You feel hungry between meals: You may get sudden pangs of hunger between your meals, which are essentially sugar cravings.
You’re getting moody and flushed: When your cells are deprived of energy, your mental functions also take a hit. You may start facing lack of concentration, brain fogs etc.
Your hands or feet are getting numb: You may get “pins and needles”, tingling or pinching sensations. They may come and recede at odd hours.
Diabetes-friendly foods for high blood sugar control
Whole grains: Oats, brown rice and whole wheat have high amounts of fibre, minerals and essential vitamins. They contain complex carbs that provide energy to your body throughout the day.
Vitamin C fruits: Antioxidant fruits like oranges, grapes etc. purify the blood of excess sugars. They also have a rejuvenative effect on your gut. Coming from the same category, Amla is one of the best medicine for sugar control you can take every day.
Ginger and garlic: They’re strong anti-inflammatory ingredients that can fit in any of your dishes and cut down its sugar load. They occupy a special place in the list of Ayurvedic herbs for Diabetes owing to their blood cleansing effect.
Leafy greens and plant proteins: Low in GI but high in nutrients, these food items are a great antidote to Diabetic stomach problems.
Ways to Control Blood Sugar Levels Quickly
Fill up your glass: Drink at least 2-3 litres of water throughout the day. Do not gulp it down. Consume it in small portions.
Burn it out: 10-15 minutes of stretching or walking can instantly increase sugar breakdown.
Try supplements: Drink up on apple cider vinegar or probiotics. They can effectively prevent sugar buildups.
Change the temperature: Avoid sitting/working in heated, humid or chilly spaces. Wear loose clothing.
Check your mood: Avoid stress and anxiety at the workplace, home or other spaces. Manage your time to suit your personal comfort zone.
Can Diabetics and added sugars become friends?
- It is a general misconception that Diabetics should completely shun carbohydrate foods.
- When in reality, a carb-less diet can do more harm than good for your health.
- Not consuming enough calories can aggravate the physical symptoms of Diabetes like fatigue, irritability etc.
- It may also lead to loss of muscle strength, stamina and healthy body weight.
- So, make sure that you consume healthy carbs like whole bread, oats etc. on a daily basis.
Threats of Sugar Consumption for Diabetics
- A moderate amount of carbohydrates are essential for everyone, including Diabetics.
- But what’s most important is to choose the right kind of sugars.
- Nonetheless, not managing your sugar intake can leave lasting damage on your body.
- After a certain point, blood glucose molecules start to degrade your soft tissues.
- This may lead to gradual loss of skin quality, vision and kidney health.
- In severe cases, it may draw the patient into a Diabetic coma.
Best fruits for Diabetics
Peaches:This musky fruit is a rich source of Vitamin A, fibre and rare minerals. It makes for a wholesome snack at the end of the day.
Apples:What makes them the best is their rich nutrient content. Apples can help to suppress sugar cravings, and bring your digestion back in order.
- Bite-size fruits; Cherries, blueberries, strawberries and red berries make for a great antioxidant supplement.
Worst fruits for Diabetics
Lychees:A single bowl of lychees can give you more than 25 gms of sugar. And sadly all of it can pump up your blood sugar levels.
Mango:There are many variants for mango, but none of them come without their own sugar crush, making it a non-favourable fruit for Diabetics.
Pineapple:Even though they have a good amount of Vitamin C, pineapples are filled with fruit sugars too. So it is best to avoid them.
Beverages that lower blood sugar levels
Bitter gourd juice:This remedy should be on the top of your list if you're wondering how to cure diabetes naturally without medication. Drink one glass of this juice daily to keep your blood sugar levels in order all through the day!
Fenugreek seed water:Besides the other places, this remedy is equally effective as one of the Ayurvedic remedies for Diabetes. You can eat up the soaked seeds and drink their water to cut down glucose levels, especially after meals.
Herbal tea:Ashwagandha, Triphala, Turmeric or Cinnamon - pick the herb of your choice to make your healthy drink. It can boost your gastrointestinal health.
Worst vegetables for Diabetics
Potatoes:They are primarily heavy on starch content. As of the other nutrients, potatoes are rather skim. Not to forget the additional calories they accumulate after cooking!
Corn:This grain is used as a staple across countries, but it's not a Diabetics favourite. Corn is loaded with different kinds of carbohydrates that are easy to digest, but difficult to flush out!
Peas:Don’t go on the green colour of this vegetable! It is a Dietician’s nightmare containing hundreds of calories per bowl. Best to steer away from this one!