Anaemia is one of the most common health problems that afflict women.
Anaemia can be explained as the decline of red blood cells also known as haemoglobin in the blood. Haemoglobin is a haemo-protein composed of globin and heme that gives red blood cells their characteristic colour. Its function is mainly to transport oxygen from the lungs to the body tissues.
A decline in haemoglobin leads to a decline in the carrying capabilities of the blood. Anemia happens due to nutritional deficiency. Symptoms of anaemia include depression, numbness, memory loss, tingling sensation as well as snappiness. The symptoms may differ from one person to another based on the severity. Extreme cases of anaemia require medical aid. Otherwise, anaemia can be easily cured by following a holistic way of life. In this article we will share with you ways to cure anaemia using herbs according to Ayurveda and some simple home cures.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Anaemia
According to Ayurveda anaemia can be cured using bhasmas (ashes) of metals and minerals. The ayurvedic processing of these bhasmas enhances the medicinal properties and removes the toxic effects. Some commonly used bhasmas in Ayurveda to cure anaemia are Mandura, Suvarna, Abhraka, Makshika and Kanta Lauha. Mandura is the mildest bhasma, whereas, Kanta Lauha is the strongest.
Home Remedies for Anaemia
1. A good, well balanced everyday diet is effective for those suffering from anemia. The diet must comprise of cereals, milk, cheese, rice, yogurt, pastas, vegetables, fruits, eggs, poultry, nuts, fish and meat.
2. It is said that cooking food in iron pots increases the iron content of the food. Try to cook in iron pots as often as possible.
3. Apples are very good in curing anaemia. Try to have two or three apples everyday. They are extremely rich in iron.
4. Try to include foods that are rich in iron as much as possible in your diet. Liver, beets, bran flake, brown rice, raisins, green leafy veggies, dry fruits, oysters, lentils molasses as well as prunes are extremely rich sources of iron. Whole grain pastas and breads are also rich in iron content.
5. Have a ripe banana mashed along with one tablespoon of honey. This is a good remedy in treating anaemia.
6. Juice of apple as well as tomato is beneficial in curing anaemia. Try and have a glass of apple juice as well as tomato juice everyday.
7. Sitting in the sun helps in increasing the production of red blood cells in the body. It is recommended that anaemic people must sit in the sun for twenty minutes to half an hour everyday.
8. Soak seven to ten almonds in water overnight. Strain the almonds and throw the water. Next, peel away the almond skin and grind them into a paste. Have this paste every morning for two to three months. You can continue having almond paste even after you have recovered from anaemia to avoid future occurrence.
9. Beetroot is one of the best sources of iron. Have it in the form of salad or cooked vegetable at least once in a day. You can also have a glass of beetroot juice everyday to cure anaemia.
10. Vitamin C is essential for the absorption of iron. Hence, along with foods rich in iron you must also include foods that are rich in Vitamin C. Include citrus fruits such as lemon or orange in your diet.