Remember the ads on TV? A beautiful young woman in an attractive black gown almost wooed by a handsome youth who hesitates to approach her noticing the white flakes on her shoulders. Well, this is not fully an exaggeration but a common reason for embarrassment to many.
Flaky Skin is a Natural Phenomenon
Nature’s way to keep the skin rejuvenated is shedding and that is exactly what causes dandruff. But have you ever wondered what makes dandruff stand out. The answer is quite simple – you just don’t notice the rest! The pace with which the shedding happens makes dandruff look more obvious.
There are more reasons to why dandruff may show up. Dandruff is also caused when yeast like fungus goes on rampage across your scalp speeding up the process of skin shedding.
Unknown Reasons for Dandruff
A dry scalp is the perfect place for dandruff. Leaving your hair wet for a long time also facilitates the growth of dandruff. Infrequent washing of hair, poor hygiene, increased oil production and use of incompatible hair products are among the many other causes of dandruff. Dandruff can be controlled and sometimes prevented by the regular washing of hair and proper hygiene. You can combat dandruff with these simple ingredients found in your very own kitchen.
Home Remedies for Dandruff
- Add a few drops of Tea tree oil to your shampoo and wash it off. Being an excellent anti-septic, tea tree oil can work to keep dandruff at bay.
- Apply a mixture of yogurt and black pepper on the scalp. Rinse off after an hour.
- Regular use of warm olive oil on your scalp can help keep dandruff away.
- Add 1 tbsp of baking soda to your shampoo and see your scalp get clear.
- Curd due to its acidic properties helps keep dandruff away. Apply fermented curd for an hour before you wash it off.
- Massage your scalp with lemon juice. Leave it for a few minutes and then wash your hair.
- Mix gram flour with curd and apply it on your hair.
- Apply a mix of egg white and lemon juice to your hair and scalp once a week.
- A paste made of neem leaves or fenugreek seed is a very effective remedy.
- Soak 2 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds overnight and grind it in to a thick paste in the morning. Apply on scalp with curd and rinse off with plenty of water after 20 minutes. Repeat twice a week. Fenugreek makes your hair soft as well.
- A mixture of coconut oil and camphor applied on the scalp shows wonderful results.
- Application of Aloe vera gel/pulp/juice can also give good results.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Dandruff
Dosha and Dandruff
People with the Vata and Kapha doshas usually fall as victims for dandruff. While a dry, scaly and flaky scalp is predominantly seen in people with Vata dosha; raised and sticky bumps of dandruff is mostly seen in Kapha doshas.
Now that you know that your dosha is also responsible, you can deal with dandruff the Ayurvedic way.
Ayurveda Keeps Dandruff Away
A decoction made of Triphala Churna can be used as a hair wash for excessively flaky and cracked scalp. Durdurapathradi Tailam can work wonders in such cases. Consuming Abhayamalaki Rasayanam is also recommended to combat dandruff. Excessive stickiness, itch and pimples caused by dandruff can be dealt by washing your hair with Aragvadhadi Kashayam or Asanadi Kashayam. Medicines like Triphala Guggulu, Dhatri Loha, Abhayamalaki Rasayana, Narasimha Rasayana and Gandhaka Rasayana are also effective formulations against dandruff.
A paste of amla, yogurt and lemon juice or amla, neem, turmeric and lemon juice can also be applied on the scalp. This works as an effective cleansing agent.
To prevent dandruff, avoid sharing combs and towels. Dandruff is highly contagious. And make sure that you clean your comb regularly.
Now that you have so many remedies in hand, why fear? Loosen up your hair and enjoy!