Honey is one among the commonest anupana (adjuvant) used in Ayurveda to administer medicines. It is known by different names like madhu, kshoudra, makshika, etc.
Honey mainly contains sugars (fructose, glucose, sucrose and maltose), water and minerals like potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium.
Properties of Honey in Ayurveda
- Rasa- Madhura (sweet), Kashaya (astringent).
- Guna- Guru (heavy), ruksha (dry)
- Virya- Ushna (hot potency)
- Vipaka- Katu (pungent)
- Effects on Doshas- Kapha hara.
Health Benefits of Honey
- Enhances wound healing. You can use honey in burns, mouth, stomach ulcers and sore throat.
- You can apply pure honey directly on your burn wounds. It contains hydrogen peroxide which prevents bacterial infection and acts as a natural bandage.
- In mouth ulcers, mix honey with yashtimadhu churna and apply on the affected area.
- You can also boil yashtimadhu churna or Triphala churna in a glass of water and 1 tsp of honey. Use it for gargling in mouth ulcers, sore throat and tonsillitis.
- To reduce your body weight, you can mix 2 tsp of honey in boiled and cooled water. Drink in empty stomach daily.
- Honey is a natural antioxidant, you can use it as an ingredient in your face pack to get a healthy and glowing skin. Internally, you can take 2 tsp of honey and 1 tsp of lemon juice in a glass of water to improve your skin health.
- Antioxidant property of honey helps in prevention of cancer and reduces the side effects of chemo/ radiation therapy.
- In a cough and cold, you can take honey with Sitopaladi churna, tulsi powder, ginger juice or Talisadi churna.
- Regular intake of honey boosts up your immunity and protects you against pollen allergy.
- Honey is an instant energy booster like glucose.
In Ayurveda, there are various rules to be followed for the intake of honey
- Honey should not be cooked or heated while using.
- Avoid taking honey in hot climate or if you are working in hot environment.
- Honey and ghee should not be mixed in equal quantity and taken internally.
If honey is stored in a well-sealed bottle in a dry place it will never expire.