Insomnia is a sleep disorder, manifested by difficulty in falling asleep or difficulty in staying in deep sleep for required amount of time. Insomnia may be a primary disease or it may be the complication caused due to other illness or medications.
Causes of Insomnia:
- Insomnia may be only for short duration due to fear, anxiety, stress, work pressure, exam/ interview tension or emotional disturbance, depression, death of loved ones.
- Insomnia may be for longer period known as chronic insomnia due to suffering due to any constant pain, heart disease, cancer, stroke, alzheimer’s or hormonal changes.
- Ageing – Insomnia is very common in elderly people.
- Sometimes insomnia may be caused due to your habits like increased consumption of caffeinated beverages, nicotine or alcohol.
- Working in shifts.
- Change of place and time.
- Long journey.
- Uncomfortable sleeping environment.
- Use of electronic gadgets before going to bed like watching TV or browsing in mobile or laptop.
- Late night dinner.
- Doing vigorous exercise before going to bed.
Complications of Insomnia
Restlessness, not feeling fresh in the morning, irritability, anxiety, lack of concentration, headache, stomach upset or weak digestion are some of the complications arising out of lack of proper sleep.
Home Remedies for Insomnia
You may try the following home remedies to combat insomnia:
- 2-3 small onions (small red onion) should be chewed at bedtime.
- Drink 1/2 glass of buffalo milk before going to bed.
- Dry roast jeera and grind to a fine powder. Mix it with equal quantity of yashtimadhu churna. Cumin seed (jeera) and licorice (yashtimadhu) should be taken in equal quantity . Boil this in a glass of milk and drink once daily.
- Water boiled by adding fenugreek seeds can be taken daily.
- Drink a glass of ash gourd juice before going to bed.
- Practice yoga and pranayama regularly.
- Shirodhara, oil body and head massage are very beneficial. You can do oil massage daily half an hour before going to bed.
Ayurveda Treatment for Insomnia
For insomnia, an Ayurvedic formulation called Tungadrumadi Oil or Ksheerabala oil 2-3 drops can be used to massage the crown of your head and sole. This promotes sound sleep.
You may also take Suayu sleep aid capsule in the dose of 1 capsule daily after dinner.
Include nuts like almonds, walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, and peanuts in your daily diet. Don’t take alcohol, caffeinated, or aerated drinks before bedtime. Don’t watch tv or work with electronic gadgets like your laptop late at night.
If the symptoms still persist after a couple of weeks, then it would be better to consult a physician personally and get the treatments done. If psychological factors are responsible for insomnia, then specific counselling and treatments would be required to manage it.