Hiccups is a body’s reflex caused due to involuntary contraction of your diaphragm. Diaphragm is the muscular structure which separates your chest and abdomen.
Causes for Repeated Hiccups
- Excess alcohol, carbonated drinks consumption and smoking.
- Irritation of the diaphragm, Hiatus hernia and certain infections like Laryngitis, Encephalitis, etc.
- Fast and overeating.
- Emotional disturbance, anxiety and stress.
- Swallowing more air during eating.
- Tumors and any injury to brain.
- Certain medications and after abdominal surgery.
Home Remedies for Hiccups
- Chew a small piece of ginger.
- During hiccup attacks, take 1-2 pinch of katuki powder (picorrhiza) mixed with honey, 3-4 times a day.
- Take 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, add ½ tsp clarified butter and mix well. Swallow the mixture for quick relief.
- Take a few pinches of asafoetida powder, add 1 tsp clarified butter and mix well. Swallow for quick relief.
- Continuous hiccups can be stopped by eating a spoon of peanut butter.
- Drink a glass of water or chew a candy.
- Try breathing in a paper bag.
- Hold your breath for a few seconds.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Hiccups
The following ayurvedic remedies can be taken twice daily, half an hour before food:
- Dhanadanayanadi Kashayam
- Chitrakadi vati
- Dhanwantara vati
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from hiccups, please click the link below: