Fatty liver is a condition where there is accumulation fat in your liver.
Causes of Fatty Liver
- Certain medications.
- Excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Other medical conditions like hepatitis and metabolic disorders like obesity, diabetes and dyslipidemia.
- Malnutrition or undernutrition.
- Unhealthy food habits.
Signs and Symptoms of Fatty Liver
In early stage of fatty liver, you may not experience any signs and symptoms. When your liver is inflamed you will notice these symptoms:
- Discomfort in abdomen
- Mild pain
- Nausea or vomiting
- Decreased appetite
- Weight Loss and weakness
- Few may develop jaundice also
Diagnosis of Fatty Liver
Your physician will do a physical examination and lab tests like liver function test and USG scan to confirm the diagnosis.
Management of Fatty Liver
- Diet which is low in fat and low glycemic index.
- Weight loss.
- Alcohol withdrawal.
- Stopping unwanted medication and self medication.
- Control your diabetes with proper medications.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Fatty Liver
The following Ayurvedic medicines are beneficial in Fatty liver
- Vasaguduchyadi kashayam 2 tablets,twice daily,1 hour before food.
- Triphala churna, bhringraj churna and trivrit churna with honey, twice daily.
Bhumiamalaki Powder for Liver and Kidney
- Balances the pitta dosha and thus protects the liver and spleen by healing inflammation.
- Treats gall bladder stones, hepatomegaly, spleenomegaly and hepatitis.
- Improves taste and treats anorexia.
- First-rate remedy for anemia, bleeding disorders, neuropathy, excessive thirst, urinary disorders, asthma, chronic respiratory disorders, UTI and diabetes.
- Has antispasmodic, appetite promoting, anti hepatotoxic and laxative properties.
Dosage:3 to 6 gms with warm water, once or twice a day
Avoid sweets, carbohydrate rich food. Replace curds with well churned buttermilk with enough curry leaves. Include brown rice and barley in your diet.