Know The Types of Snakes and The First Aid For Snake Bite

Every year around 8000 people are bitten by poisonous snakes in United States alone. Bites of snakes labeled as harmless can also lead to infections and allergies in many people. People who are adventurous by nature and go on frequent hiking, camping, picking trips in wild areas as well as people who live in snake inhabited regions should know about the common snakes, which are poisonous and the first aid for snake bite.

The common poisonous snakes:

There are many snakes found in the world. Some of them are poisonous and many of them are completely harmless. The commonly found poisonous snakes are rattlesnake, russel’s viper, cobra, krait, coral snake, saw scaled viper, cottonmouth as well as copperhead.

The common symptoms of poisonous snake bites are:

The symptoms of snake bite may vary from one person to another. The most commonly observed symptoms of snake bites are: bloody discharge from the wound, fang marks on the body, swelling around the snake bite area, severe pain, diarrhea, burning sensation, fits, fainting, light headedness, tiredness, fever, extreme thirst, nausea, unclear vision, sweating, lack of proper muscle coordination, vomiting, fast pulse and numbness. In this case, you may need to call for help and apply first aid for snake bite.

First Aid For Snake Bite:

If there is someone who has been bitten by a snake be it poisonous snake or not, it is important that you call for medical help. Responding quickly to the situation without panicking will help greatly. While you are waiting for medical help, give first aid for snake bites first:

-Wash the bitten area with warm water and soap.
-Keep the bitten area still and at a lower height to avoid the poison spreading towards the heart.
-Cover the bitten area with a cold compress or a slightly moist dressing to reduce swelling as well as general discomfort in that area.
– Keep checking the affected person for vital signs.
-The physician use an antivenin to treat poisonous snake bites.  Antivenin is an antidote to the venom of the snake and is derived from antibodies formed in the blood serum of a horse when the horse is injected with poison of the snake. If someone has allergies to horses or horse products then you must inform the physician at the earliest.

If for some reason the medical help does not arrive for next thirty minutes then the following instructions are given by the Red Cross Society as first aid for snake bite:

-wrap a clean bandage about two to four inches above the bitten area to reduce the venom from spreading. Do not tie the bandage extremely tight, it should not obstruct with the flood flow entirely, just enough to put a slight hindrance to the flow of venom. You should be able to slip a finger under the bandage.

-if you live in a snake inhabited area then keep a kit of first aid for snake bite. In this kit you will find a suction device which has to be placed over the bite to draw out the venom from the bite without making any deeper cuts.

Ways to avoid snake bites:
–    If you spot a snake, leave it alone. Do not get close to it or try to capture it or kill it on your own.
–    Wear thick leather boots in snake inhabited areas.
–    Be very careful while climbing hills or rocks.
–    Snakes are very common in areas with tall grass do not go there in the dark and without boots.