Primary hypothyroidism is when the thyroid gland itself is diseased.Secondary hypothyroidism is caused by problems with the pituitary gland.
These are some of the causes:
- Hashimoto’s disease – is a chronic autoimmune disease that causes the thyroid to become inflamed and unable to produce enough thyroid hormones.
- Surgical removal of the thyroid gland
- Thyroiditis during and after pregnancy
- Radiation therapy for head and neck disease
- Certain medications such as sulfonamides, lithium, amiodarone, can interfere with the thyroid’s ability to produce hormones
- Pituitary gland problems
According to Ayurveda the thyroid function is controlled by Pitta dosha. Pitta- is responsible for all of the metabolic actions carried out by the thyroid hormones. In Hypothyroidism Pitta dosha is covered by Kapha Dosha which diminishes the cellular metabolism. Treatment principle is aimed to remove coating of Kapha dosha thus enabling Pitta to perform its function normally.Ayurveda teaches that thyroid disease is affected by diet and lifestyle discrepancies which further promote the doshic imbalance.
- Avoid day sleep.
- Yoga poses like sarvangasana (shoulder stand), matsyasana, halasana, suryanamaskara, pranayam are all beneficial in balancing body’s metabolism.
- Avoid oily food, sweets, dairy products, cabbage, cauliflower, curd, non vegetarian food .Garlic, onion, pepper, dry ginger, barley, horsegram, etc. can be taken.
- A decoction prepared of drumstick leaves should be taken daily. Soup prepared from drumstick leaves can also be taken.It is a rich source of iodine.
- Mix amla powder with honey and have it daily morning,before breakfast.
- Cow’s urine is an excellent remedy. Freshly collected cow’s urine,diluted with little water should be taken early in the morning .
- Walnut which is rich in iodine and magnesium contributes to the balanced functioning of thyroid gland. Have a few walnuts daily.
- Consume a tsp of flax seeds daily.
If you are looking for Ayurvedic medicines, the following medicines would be beneficial in this case:
- Varunadi kashayam 2 tablets,twice daily, 1 hour before food.
- Punarnavadi 2-0-2 , 1 hour before food.
- Kanchanara guggulu 2-0-2 before food.
You may also refer to the following blog post on Ayurvedic approach to thyroidism.