Health Benefits of Apple: Introduction
Yummy and juicy apple fruit is one of the most desired fruit in the world. Apple is favored by those who are conscious about their health. This fruit is loaded with important phyto-nutrients that are required for good health by all. The antioxidants present in apple makes good for health and beneficial in keeping many health problems away. Hence, the saying “an apple a day keeps the doctor away” does hold truth.
Apples grow on medium height trees that belong to the rosaceae family. Apples were first found growing in Kazakstan, however, it is now being grown in many other parts of the world. The outer color of apple may vary from green or red depending upon the cultivation practice. The seeds of apple are very hard and bitter; hence, they cannot be eaten. There are many varieties of apples grown in the world as of date, apple can be eaten raw or used in a baking recipe.
The health benefits of apple are:
1. Nutritious: This sweet and delicious fruit is loaded with many important nutrients. Each and every one of the nutrient found in apple is essential for proper growth and nutritional development of the human body. Having the health benefits of Apple fruit is good for general well being.
2. Low calorific value: apples have low calorific value. 100gm of apple has only about fifty calories, and no cholesterol as well as no fats. Apples have dietary fiber which stops the absorption of bad cholesterol in the bowel. The dietary fiber has also been known as one of the health benefits of Apple to safeguard the mucous membrane in large intestines from being exposed to toxins by binding cancerous chemicals.
3. Reduce free radical damage: apple is loaded with vitamin C as well as beta carotene. Vitamin C has potent antioxidant properties which are great health benefits of Apple. Having foods, such as apple, that is rich in vitamin C as well as beta carotene helps shield the body against harmful agents and free radicals in the body.
Apples also have antioxidants, flavanoids as well as polyphenols in it. The essential antioxidants present in apple are epicatechin, quercetin as well as procyanidin B2. The presence of the above mentioned compounds and health benefits of Apple help shield the body against any harmful effects of free radicals.
4. Good for metabolism: apple is also a very good source of Vitamin B complex like riboflavin, pyridoxine as well as thiamin. These vitamin compounds and health benefits of Apple work as co factors for enzymes which help enhance various synthetic functions in the body including metabolism.
5. Mineral content healthy for the body: Small doses of several minerals like calcium, potassium as well as phosphorus are also part of the health benefits of Apple. All these minerals are great health benefits of apple for the body in one way or another. Potassium is required by the cells and the fluids to maintain and control a healthy heart rate as well as blood pressure.
Availability: Fresh apples are usually available all around the world round the year. Have fresh and bright colored apples with firm outer texture. Do not have apples that are pressure dents on its outer layer as that is a sign of pulpy patches inside.
Storage: Apples can be kept at room temperature for three to four days. They can be kept fresh for upto three weeks in cold storage.
Usage: Make sure to wash the apples properly under drinkable running water to remove any impurities from the surface.