Cancer is a disease characterised by abnormal multiplication of cells, which has the capacity to invade other parts of the body. It is commonly known as malignancy. It is one among the leading causes of death.
Signs and Symptoms of Cancer
Signs and symptoms vary according to different types of cancer and its location. The common signs and symptoms are:
- Abnormal weight loss
- Loss of appetite/ abnormality in your digestion
- Lump or enlargement of the affected organ
- Changes in bowel habit
- Sense of discomfort
- Constant pain
Risk factors for cancer
- Aging – As age advances beyond 65 years, the chances of getting cancer are more.
- Hereditary – gene mutation can be inherited from family members.
- Diseases – Certain diseases can precipitate the occurrence of cancer.
- Occupation – Exposure to environmental pollutants or carcinogens
- Habits – Certain food habits, smoking, alcohol abuse can increase risk of cancer.
The risks of getting cancer, especially endometrial, rectum, colon and prostate are higher with consumption of foods rich in fat content. Avoid eating food that is charred, smoked, pickled, or cured regularly, as it can precipitate the risk for development of cancer.
Even sugar is now linked to cancer. By using more sugar, the cancer cells produce lactic acid, which seems to help the body to generate new blood vessels. This in turn activate the cancer cells to spread and reproduce quickly. This can contribute to more rapid growth of the cancer.
Monosodium Glutamate, Sodium Nitrite, Sodium Benzoate and Sodium Nitrate are some of the preservatives, which may be related to cancer. Hence canned food, food containing artificial flavoring agents, added colours, etc, should be avoided.
Avoid microwaved food. However, it can be consumed once in awhile, not on a regular basis.
Some pesticides and herbicides used on foods we eat have been labeled as human or animal carcinogens. Hence, clean the fruits and vegetables thoroughly before using it.
Cancer Prevention Tips
Below are a few tips to prevent cancer
- Diet rich in vitamin C and carotenoids reduce the risk of stomach cancer.
- Apple, blueberries, cherries, cranberry, grapefruit, walnuts, pumpkin, green leafy vegetables should be consumed more.
- Do regular rejuvenation and purification practices such as regular Panchakarma. Discover your unique body-mind constitution and use herbs, spices and foods according to your unique individual needs. Find out your dosha here: Dosha Calculator.
- Do the Abhyanga (Ayurvedic self-massage) every morning, which will stimulate lymphatic circulation to eliminate toxins.
- Include herbs and spices like turmeric, coriander, ginger, neem, garlic, ashwagandha, giloy (guduchi), in your diet.
- Practice yoga and pranayama on a regular basis.
Periodically you have to do self examination. When in doubt, consult a physician without hesitation. Early detection and prompt treatment can cure the cancer completely and prolong your life.