Are you allergic to dust, pollen. etc.? And do you sneeze continuously once you wake up in the morning?Do you feel a lot of mucus/phlegm coming out when you sneeze? Is it associated with watery and itchy eyes and throat?
Then, you probably have allergic rhinitis. You may try the following home remedies for relief:
– Bittergourd Leaves: Soak about 5 to 6 bitter gourd leaves in water for some time. Remove the gourd leaves from the water, squeeze them and add a little bit of warm water to make juice. You can add some honey to the mixture if you like. Drinking this on a regular basis will help get rid of sneezing induced by colds and seasonal allergies.
– Fenugreek seeds also provide relief from sneezing due to its antiviral properties. Fenugreek can soothe the mucous membranes, relieve irritation and thus, prevent sneezing.
– Vitamin C: Orange juice or lemonade are great sources of Vitamin C and essential when you have a cold. Vitamin C can lower histamine production and thus prevent sneezing. Amla should also be consumed on a regular basis.
– Warming spices particularly ginger, cinnamon, turmeric and black pepper should be taken more.
– Pranayama or breathing exercises are highly beneficial to combat allergic rhinitis.
– Ginger Tea, Fennel Tea: Regular consumption of these teas would be beneficial.
– Ginger+Amla+Honey: 5 gm ginger juice mixed with one amla's (Indian gooseberry) juice and one teaspoon honey with a little water. It boosts body immunity and acts as a decongestant.
– Steam Inhalation: Water with hand full of rock salt should be used to take vapours in severe cough or mild cold and heaviness in the head.
– Turmeric+Black Pepper+Warm Milk: Mix one teaspoon of both turmeric and black pepper powder into a glass of warm milk. Mix it properly and drink it when it becomes lukewarm. You should use this method twice in a day to get complete relief from cold.
Avoid dairy products, sweets, oily food as it can lead to aggravation of kapha dosha or formation of excess mucus/phlegm n the body. Avoid chocolates, ice cream, and bakery products.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Allergic Rhinitis
If you are looking for Ayurvedic supplements for the treatment of allergic rhinitis, I would suggest the following formulations:
– Regular consumption of a glass of milk,mixed with 1/2 to 1 tsp of an Ayurvedic formulation – Haridra khand, improves immunity.
– Koldoff tablet 2 tablets twice daily should be taken. It contains a combination of herbs that help body to fight chronic upper respiratory tract infections.It is also helpful in fighting allergic manifestations of the upper respiratory tract.
– For prevention, Organic Jeevanamrita rasayanam should be consumed in the dose of 1 tablespoon twice daily after food.
– Trikatu powder, 1 tsp with warm water,twice daily,after food.
Children below 3 years -1/2 to 1 tablet twice or thrice daily powdered and mixed with honey.
Children from 3 to 5 years -2 tablets twice daily.
Children above 5 years & Adults-2 tablets three times a day.
An Ayurvedic panchakarma procedure called Nasya is highly beneficial in the management of allergic rhinitis and sinusitis. Hence, I would recommend you to consult an Ayurvedic doctor personally and get this treatment done.