Epilepsy is a neurological disorder characterised by seizures with or without loss of consciousness, caused due to abnormal brain activity.
Signs and Symptoms of Epilepsy
- Jerky movements of hands and legs.
- Altered consciousness.
- Fixed gaze.
- Difficulty in breathing.
Epilepsy can be fatal. Repeated seizures may cause permanent brain damage or sudden death. Hence, you need to take proper medication without fail and never stop or withdraw or alter the medicines without your physician’s consent.
Home Remedies for Epilepsy
Along with your medications you can try the following home remedies:
- Take 100 ml milk, add 100 ml water, pour in a vessel and add 4-5 crushed garlic cloves. Boil till only milk quantity remains and drink once a day.
- Take 1 bowl of crushed ash gourd, press it on a sieve and extract its juice and add 1 tsp licorice powder, mix well and drink once a day.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Epilepsy
- Ashwagandha, Yasthimadhu, Shankhapushpi, Kushmanda rasayana and Brahmi can be taken regularly with milk.
- Ayurvedic ghee preparations like Brahmi ghrita, Panchagavya ghrita and kalyanaka ghrita are highly beneficial in this condition
- Do regular head massage with bala taila or brahmi taila.
Dos and Dont’s
- Maintain regular sleep pattern and have enough sleep for 7-8 hours daily.
- Manage your emotional stress. Avoid worrying, fear and anxiety.
- Do regular physical exercise under proper guidance.
- Always carry a medical ID card with you stating you are an epileptic patient.
- Keep yourself, your family, friends and relatives updated about the management of epileptic attacks.
- Be careful while driving or using public transport.
- Avoid pungent, fried, greasy food, strong tea & coffee, alcoholic beverages, junk foods & pickles.
- Take Vitamin B6 rich food: Rice, alfalfa seeds milk, cereals, carrots, legumes, green leafy vegetables, peanuts.
- Consume fruit like melons, pears, oranges, pineapples, grapes and peaches.
- You can undergo Ayurvedic treatments like Shiro pichu, Shiro dhara , Shiro basti and Nasya.
You can definitely prevent epileptic seizures with proper medication. Avoid worrying about your disease and lead a normal life.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from epilepsy, please click on the links below: