Gout is a type of arthritis, which usually affects your big toe.
It is characterised by
- severe pain, redness, swelling and tenderness.
- Limited or restricted movements of the affected joints.
- Sleep disturbance due to pain.
- Sometimes you may get fever also.
Causes of Gout
- Increased level of uric acid in your blood leads to the formation of urate crystals in the joints.
- When your kidney fails to excrete uric acid from your body.
- Intake of certain foods in more quantities like seafood, meat, sweetened beverages and alcohol.
- Being obese.
X- ray of affected joints and blood test for uric acid will confirm the diagnosis.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Gout
- Kaishore guggulu and AAmrutadi guggulu are effective in management of pain.
- Internally Guluchyadi kashayam, Maha tiktaka ghritam helps to reduce uric acid levels in blood.
- Externally Balaguduchyadi taila, Narayana taila and Ksheerabala taila can be used.
- Ayurvedic treatment procedures like dhara, virechana, vasti are effective in curing gout.
Dos and Don’ts
Patients suffering from gouty arthritis or high uric acid should
- Avoid pitta aggravating diet and lifestyle.
- Avoid sour fruits and vegetables (grapes, cherries, sour pineapple, sour mangoes, plum, berries, tamarind, lemons, peaches), horsegram, radish, turnip, tomato, cauliflower, cabbage and mushroom, soy products, urad dal, curd, nuts, hot spices, red meat and sea food.
- Avoid day sleep.
- Avoid direct exposure to hot sunlight.
- Avoid intake of alcohol.
- Take wheat, green gram, milk, bitter gourd, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, gooseberry, etc.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from gout and other arthritis related ailments please click on the links below: