Osteoarthritis is known as Sandhivata in Ayurveda. In the word Sandhivata, Sandhi means the joint and Vata stands for the Vata Dosha. When activities of the Vata increase inside the Sandhis (joints), it is known as the Sandhivata. Vata is dry in nature so it absorbs the fluids from any part of the body and it is also destructive or catabolic in nature, due to these two reasons Vata causes destruction of the cartilages and reduction in the Synovial fluid inside the joint capsule.
The herbs boswellia, turmeric, ashwagandha, ginger, triphala, guggulu, and shatavari have all been shown to decrease inflammation by interfering with the production of inflammatory chemicals in the body.
Ayurvedic treatment of Osteoarthritis not only prevents further deterioration in the joints but also rejuvenates damaged cartilages. Vata-alleviating treatments through specific herbs are also suggested for lubrication and strengthening of joints.
You may try the following home remedies:
- Roast and crush a handful of fenugreek seeds, take 2 tsp of this powder and add water to make a thick paste. Apply on the affected area
- Massage the affected areas with luke warm sesame oil or mustard oil added with powdered camphor.
- You can also fry two garlic cloves in two tablespoons of mustard or sesame oil. When the garlic cloves turn black, turn off the heat and strain the oil. Allow the oil to cool until it is comfortably warm, and then massage it into the skin around affected area. Leave it on for about three hours before washing it off. Do this twice daily until you see improvement. You may also add camphor to this oil.
- Water soaking sesame seeds can be had early in the morning along with the seed being soaked. The remedy will make your joint pains infrequent.
- Fresh cooked and hot food should be consumed in regular diet.
- Hot soups of lentils, pulses and meat should be taken with powder of ginger, black pepper and long pepper added to them.Ghee and oils in moderate amount are necessary in daily diet, as these keep the normal joints properly lubricated and also provide lubrication to the dried up joints.
Ayurvedic treatment procedures like Januvasti, abhyanga, patra pinda sweda, etc., are highly beneficial in treating this condition. Hence , I would recommend you to consult an Ayurvedic doctor personally and get these external treatment procedures done.
You may also start taking the following internal medicines, which would give you relief from knee joint pain.
- Bonton active granules.Dissolve 1 tsp of bonton granules in a glass of hot milk and consume at bed time.
- Rasnasaptakam kashayam,2 tablets,twice daily,1 hour before food
- Joint aid oil for local application (massage)
- Zeotone capsule 1 capsule a day,before food
- Arthcare oil for local application(massage)
Avoid intake spicy, deep fried food items, cold food and drinks. Also, avoid intake of suppression of natural urges and night outs.
All the spicy, deep fried and very oily and pungent food recipes should be avoided, since these are believed to cause damage to the degenerated joints.
To get more info on, and to buy, some of the ayurvedic products mentioned in this article, please click on links below: