Urinary incontinence is a condition where you are unable to control the leakage of urine. It may be temporary or permanent depending upon the cause.
Urinary incontinence may occur due to:
- Bladder or urinary tract infection.
- Neurological disorders, disc compression/slipped disc, impaired mobility (leg or hip fracture), and any injury to spinal cord.
- Weak abdominal muscles and pelvic floor muscles.
- Mental stress, fear, anxiety, etc.
- Severe constipation.
- Alcohol abuse and intake of more caffeinated drinks.
- Prostate enlargement in elderly males.
- Pregnancy, after delivery and after menopause in females.
- Being obese.
- After surgery like hysterectomy/spinal surgeries.
Types of Urinary Incontinence
- Stress incontinence – On physical exertion like coughing/sneezing/lifting heavy weight, you may notice leakage of small amount of urine.
- Urge incontinence – You are unable to withhold the urine after getting urge for urination. There may be sudden leakage of large quantity of urine, before you visit the toilet or during sleep.
- Overflow or overactive bladder incontinence – You may feel frequent urge for urination/ constant dribbling of urine.
- Functional incontinence – Physical disability or mental impairment affects the physical movements/coordination and makes you unable to reach the toilet in time.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Urinary Incontinence
According to Ayurveda, urinary incontinence is primarily a Vata disorder.
In this case the following remedies would be beneficial:
- Consume fennel seeds, dry jamun seed powder twice daily.
- A cotton bandage dipped in dhanwantaram oil should be placed over the lower abdomen for 20-30 minutes daily.
- Avagaha sveda (sitz bath) with vatahara kashaya like dashamoola kashayam/ dhanwantaram kashayam/dhanyamla.
- De-seed and crush one gooseberry into paste, add a pinch of turmeric powder and 1 tsp of honey, mix well and have this mixture daily morning.
- Regular consumption of 12-15 raisins and walnuts would be beneficial.
- Half tsp of cinnamon powder mixed with some sugar can be tried daily.
- Give a small glass of cranberry juice to the patient,1 hour before bedtime.
Recommended Ayurvedic Formulations for Urinary Incontinence:
- Rajata bhasma, Abhrak sindoora
- Sukumaram kashayam, Dhanwantaram kashayam and Sahacharadi kashayam
- Vastyamayantaka ghrita, Saptasara ghrita.
- Chandraprabha vati, Dhanvantara vati,
- Aswagandha churna, Triphala churnam 3-4 grams with ghee, twice daily, before food.
Lifestyle and Dietary Changes
- Avoid alcohol and smoking. Minimise the intake of caffeinated drinks.
- Avoid exposure to chilly weather and cold winds.
- Physical exertions, excessive workouts, etc., should be reduced.
- Psychological factors like anxiety, fear, worry can aggravate the condition. Manage your emotional status through yoga, meditation and pranayama.
- Fresh, hot and nutritious food should be taken.
- Keep your skin dry and use creams to protect your skin from urine.
- Use clean and dry cloth to keep yourself dry and avoid repeated washing/douching, as it may irritate your skin more.
- At nighttime keep your way to the toilet clear, illuminated and away from obstructions or try using a bedpan.
- Kegels exercises should be done daily to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products for relief from urinary incontinence, please click on the links below: