Unwanted facial hair is a cause of concern of about 60% of women.
It not only affects the physical appearance but in few cases leads to stress.
Even though women find their own temporary solutions or try several home remedies for facial hair to have that clean look, it leaves them puzzled on how to remove the facial hair naturally !
Medically termed as Hirsutism (pronounced Hur-soot-ism), it is a condition of male pattern of facial hair growth in women.
This condition is more common in teenage girls after puberty or mostly in women of reproductive age. The degree of hair growth and texture might vary from person to person.
Other than on the face one may notice excessive hair growth on the chest, abdomen and back. It can be a sign of serious underlying medical condition that requires medical attention.
Hirsutism can affect any gender but is a cause of worry for a women particularly due to social concerns.
Causes of Hirsutism
- Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome: This is most common causative factor for hirsutism, obesity, irregular periods and acne.
- Hormonal imbalance: A tumour that secretes androgen in the ovaries or uterus may cause hirsutism.
- Medications. Some medications can cause hirsutism. These include danazol, which is used to treat women with endometriosis; systemic corticosteroids and fluoxetine (Prozac) for depression.
- Cushing’s syndrome: This occurs when your body is exposed to high levels of the hormone cortisol. It can develop from your adrenal glands making too much cortisol or from taking medications such as prednisone over a long period.
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia: This inherited condition is characterized by abnormal production of steroid hormones, including cortisol and androgen, by your adrenal glands.
- Hereditary factors: In some cases, the problem runs in the family.
There are certain factors that increases the likelihood of developing hirsutism.
- Obesity: Being overweight or obese can increase the androgen levels in blood that may cause hirsutism.
- Familial history : Women whose mother or grandparents affected with hirsutism are likely to develop this condition.
- Endemic regions: Women of South Asian or Mediterranean regions are more likely to suffer from hirsutism than other women.
How to identify hirsutism?
- This problem is self diagnosed from the pattern of hair growth after puberty.
- The hair growth follows a male pattern of hair distribution, more on the upper lip, chin, neck, back, stomach and chest.
- The hair looks more coarse and dense than the normal peach fuzz light hair that is seen on the whole body.
Although hirsutism doesn’t cause physical complications, the underlying cause of a hormonal imbalance can.
How to remove facial hair permanently in Ayurveda?
Lomasathana thailam is an ayurvedic herbal oil for Removing unwanted hair from body. This oil comes from the great Ashta vaidya tradition of Kerala and is very effective in removing unwanted hair due to different aetiology like PCOS, hormone imbalance, etc.
Take 10 – 15ml and apply externally on the affected areas.
Mode of administration:
- The oil needs to be mixed with equal quantities of kasturi haldi and applied on the face.
- Wash it off with warm water after 20 – 30 minutes.
- Repeated use give better results.
Here are some home remedies for facial hair removal:
Treatment of hirsutism includes medications and home remedies for facial hair, cosmetic procedures that gives short term and long term relief.
- Medications that are generally prescribed are anti- androgenic medicines, oral contraceptive pills or tropical creams containing eflornithine. These drugs gives relief as long as they are taken and also comes with a wide range of side effects.
- Treating the underlying conditions such as PCOS, hormonal imbalance helps.
- Other procedures that may be found helpful are electrolysis or laser hair removal depending on the growth and type of the hair. These are effective after 6-8 sittings but are very costly.
- Short term therapies include bleaching, waxing, epilator creams, shaving and threading. These are pocket friendly procedures but the results aren’t long lasting And most of these are really painful.
- Due to the failing results from medications and cosmetic therapies, one may turn towards home remedies for facial hair which gives considerable results in most of the individuals.
You may try the following home remedies for facial hair consistently for beneficial results:
- Peel and grind raw papaya. Add turmeric powder and mix well. Massage your face with this paste for fifteen minutes and wash with cool water. Repeat this once or twice weekly.
- Turmeric mixed with milk and made into a paste can be applied as face pack. When it is dry mildly scrub and remove.
- Make a paste of chickpea flour, turmeric powder and fresh cream. Apply this paste as a face pack.
- Mix few drops of honey and lemon juice in egg white and apply on affected area. When it is about to dry, remove with cotton dipped in warm water.
- Mix sugar, lemon juice and water. Apply this to your face in the direction of hair growth and Leave for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with water by rubbing gently. Do this twice or thrice a week. After few weeks, you will see noticeable reduction in hair growth.
- How to remove facial hair naturally in one day? Mix sugar and cornflour in egg white. Beat it till you get a smooth paste. Apply this egg mask to your face and let it dry.Once it is dried, pull this egg mask along with the hair.
- Applying honey alone on the affected area can lighten the colour of your facial hair and make it blend in with your skin colour. This has to be done on a daily basis. You can also read about natural face packs for hair removal here.
- Consume foods rich in Phyto estrogens like flax seeds, fennel, liquorice, alfalfa, asparagus, soy products and aloe vera.
- If you are obese, losing excess weight also reduces facial hair growth.
- Decoction prepared of Anantmool can be consumed to regularize your hormones.
- Spearmint is a drug having anti-androgenic property which is one of the health benefits of spearmint that aids in the removal of unwanted hair.A study conducted by Turkish researchers indicates that spearmint tea can help women with hirsutism. The study subjects were given herbal spearmint tea twice a day for five days in the follicular phase of their menstrual cycles. The follicular phase begins on the first day of your cycle and lasts about 14 days.
- Boil a cup of water. Add one teaspoon of dried spearmint to it. If you have fresh spearmint leaves, use four or five of them.
- Cover the container and let it steep for about five to 10 minutes.
- Strain and drink the tea.
- Have it twice daily.
12. DIY “Lemon and honey wax” home remedies for facial hair:
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of organic honey
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of cornstarch or all-purpose flour
- Water, if required
- A waxing strip or a piece of cloth
- Mix the sugar, lemon juice, and honey.
- Heat the mixture for about 3 minutes, till it becomes a waxy paste.
- To make the paste thinner, you can add water. Ensure that the paste is smooth.
- Allow the mixture to cool down.
- Apply the cornstarch or the flour on the areas where you have unwanted hair.
- Next, spread the paste in the direction of the hair growth.
- Using a waxing strip or the piece of cloth, pull the hair out in the opposite direction.
This home wax does not cause any allergic reactions a chemical wax does.