Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune disease that results in chronic irritation of the joints. It can also cause irritation of the tissue just about the joints, in addition to other organs in the body. Patients with autoimmune illnesses have antibodies that target their own body tissues, where they can be linked with inflammation. As it can have an effect on multiple other organs of the body, Rheumatoid Arthritis is considered as a systemic illness and is at times called rheumatoid disease.
Enhanced intake of incompatible, heavy and indigestible foods; consuming food at inappropriate times; indigestion; consumption of meat; ingestion of milk and milk-based products; doing work out after having oily foods or lack of physical activity are some of the general causes of Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Sometimes lack of appetite
- Pain and stiffness in the body
- Stiffness and pain in the joints of the hands
- Heaviness in the body
The ayurvedic lifestyle may assist with sleep if symptoms such as stiffness and pain keep you awake at night.
Suggested changes to improve sleep include:
- Trying ashwagandha or warm milk before bed
- Practicing yoga and meditation at night-time
- Giving a massage to the soles of the feet with warm sesame oil
Ayurvedic Rheumatoid Arthritis Treatment
Inappropriate food habits and inactive lifestyle can lead to harm of digestive fire, the formation of toxin and vitiation of air. When a person indulges in air-aggravating diet and lifestyle, then this aggravated air circulates toxin in the channels of the body and deposits it in the joints, causing Rheumatoid Arthritis.
Ayurvedic treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis begins with the pacification of air and the elimination of toxins from the body. Ayurvedic medicine for rheumatoid arthritis includes herbal medicines that are administered to enhance the digestive fire and stop the further formation of the toxin. Panchakarma massage therapies are quite helpful in subsiding pain in Arthritic patients.
Suggested ayurvedic exercises typically include gentle movements such as tai chi, yoga, walking, and swimming. Daily meditation and deep breathing are also suggested. Yoga may be particularly helpful for rheumatoid arthritis. As per a recent study it has been found that yoga for arthritis improved:
- mental health (by lowering depression)
- overall health
- physical pain
Diet & Lifestyle Advice
- Increase consumption of horse gram, barley flour, honey, split green gram, cumin seeds, celery seeds, garlic, dried ginger root powder, castor oil, and bitter gourd.
- Avoid incompatible, oily, and heavy foods.
- Avoid eating milk and fish together or jaggery and milk together.
- Avoid an inappropriate diet and lifestyle, such as suppressing natural urges of the body, waking up late in the night, and getting direct exposure to cold winds.
Opt for total fasting or depend on a liquid or semi-solid diet for a whole day, based on your strength. You can abide by this with the application of moist heat. This can be done by steeping cloth in warm water and applying pressure over the affected parts or taking a bath with lukewarm water or taking a steam bath. These are the best methods of digesting toxins.