Hair is the appendage of your skin. It is the protein filament. A healthy lustrous thick hair is not only your identity, beauty and youthfulness, it also symbolises your internal health.
Hair fall, premature greying of hair, damaged, dry hair, alopecia, lice infestation and scalp infection are the most common issues you may encounter anytime.
Common Causes for Hair Problems
- Hormonal imbalance.
- Nutritional deficiencies.
- Certain medications and illness.
- Environmental pollution.
- Overuse of harsh chemical hair care products and styling techniques.
Following are the hair care regimens you can adopt to retain or get healthy hair
Cleaning Your Hair
- You can wash your hair every two days.
- If you are exposed to more dust, pollution and living in hot/humid climate, wash your hair every alternate day.
- Always use lukewarm water or room temperature water to wash your hair and avoid using hot water.
- Avoid using others comb or hairbrush. Clean and wash your comb or brush in hot water regularly.
- Always dilute your shampoo in water before applying to the scalp. Rinse your hair well after using shampoo or conditioner to remove all remnants.
- You can use the mixture of shikakai, reetha, aloevera,tulsi, methi, hibiscus and triphala paste to wash your hair, which removes the dirt, dandruff, without irritating the scalp, retains natural oil and condition your hair.
- Avoid using chemical and anti- dandruff shampoos. This may remove the protein layer and natural oil from your scalp,making your hair dull and dry.
Grooming Your Hair
- Use wide, blunt toothed comb to detangle your hair.
- Brush your hair and scalp daily to improve blood circulation and it will also spread the natural oil secreted from your scalp to hair strands.
- Do a gentle brushing. Avoid vigorous or repeated combing to prevent hair breakage and split ends.
- Avoid tight hairstyles, hair colouring, using heavy hair accessories and hair extender regularly. This will precipitate hairfall.
Oiling Your Hair
- Oil your hair weekly once or twice with coconut oil/ olive oil or medicated oils like Kunthalakanthi thailam, Hairaan oil, Nilibhringadi tailam, etc.
- Heat the oil in a hot water bath before applying. Make sure the oil is lukewarm before applying.
- You can leave the oil overnight or for one hour before hair wash.
- Massage by rotating your scalp with pulp of your finger in a circular motion with mild pressure. Avoid vigorous rubbing, which may lead to hair fall.
Recommended Diet and Lifestyle for Healthy Hair
- Eat protein, iron, zinc, copper and calcium rich foods like green leafy vegetables, eggs, milk, nuts, and seeds.
- Avoid the intake of more salt, pickles, sour and spicy foods.
- Minimise the intake of coffee and tea.
- Get adequate sleep daily.
- Reduces your mental pressure through yoga, meditation, exercise and pranayama.
- You can undergo haircare treatment like shirodhara, shiro abhyanga, shiro pichu, Nasya and hair pack once in awhile.
- If you have nutritional deficiency, take proper supplements like Xerfer, Dhatri loha, Pravala, mukta or kasisa bhasma, Amalaki, Triphala, Annabhedi, etc.