Dyspepsia is a medical term used for indigestion or impaired digestion. It is very common for everyone to face indigestion in their life.
You may get dyspepsia alone as a disease or it may be a symptom of other diseases like Gastritis, Ulcer, Gallstones, Intestinal obstruction or Stomach Cancer.
Causes of Dyspepsia
- Eating in hurry without chewing properly.
- Overeating/repeated eating.
- Drinking lots of fluid immediately after food.
- Unhealthy food habits.
- Lack of or disturbed sleep.
- Increased consumption of alcohol, coffee and tea.
- Emotional disturbance like anxiety, fear and stress.
- Repeated use of painkillers.
Symptoms of Dyspepsia
- Discomfort in your abdomen.
- Feeling of fullness even after eating little quantity of food.
- Burning sensation or mild pain in the upper abdomen.
- Stomach bloating.
- Repeated belching.
Management of Dyspepsia
- Replace your regular coffee and tea with Ginger tea, Pachak tea, etc.
- Never overeat. Consume only ¾ th of your stomach capacity.
- Drink water sip by sip during meals. Avoid drinking large amount of water immediately before or after food.
- Eat only after previous meal is completely digested. Leave at least 4 hours time gap between main meals.
- Avoid the foods which causes indigestion like heavy, fatty and spicy foods, carbonated/caffeinated drinks.
- Include sufficient amount of garlic, ginger, jeera and ajwain in you cooking.
- Avoid self medication. Minimise the use of painkillers.
- Manage your stress by yoga, pranayama and meditation.
- If you are obese and have belly fat, try to reduce it by proper exercise and diet.
- Avoid sleeping, bathing, travelling and doing exercise immediately after food.
- Avoid day sleeping as well awakening at night times. Get at least 7-8 hours sleep daily at night.
Following are the Ayurvedic medicines which are beneficial for Dyspepsia
- Indukantham Kashayam, Guluchyadi Kashayam, Chiruvilwadi Kashayam
- Hinguvachadi churna, Vaisvanara churna, Hingvastaka churna, Panchakola churna
- Chitrakadi vati, Sankha vati, Dhanwantara vati
Important Note: If you have ulcer, kindly avoid taking the above medications on your own. Consult an Ayurvedic physician and take the medicines accordingly.
Ayurveda considers impaired digestion as the main cause for other diseases. Hence, never neglect your digestion issues.
How to naturally improve appetite and digestion
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products to help relieve dyspepsia, please click the links below: