Eating disorders are the serious psychological disorders characterised by unusual eating habits, which have bad repercussions on your health. Usually teenagers, females, models and artists are affected. The most common eating disorders are Bulimia Nervosa and Anorexia Nervosa.
Bulimia is a condition where you eat more quantity of food and later try to vomit/purge/do excessive exercise to burn the calories.
Anorexia Nervosa is characterised by an abnormally low body weight, being anxious about gaining weight.
Causes of Eating Disorders
- Emotional disturbance.
- Influence of media.
- People suffering with mental disorders like depression, OCD, etc.
Symptoms of Eating Disorders
- Skipping meals and keeps fasting.
- Self inducing vomiting or purgation.
- Excessive weight loss.
- Lean physique.
- Feeling tired/fatigue.
- Feeling dizzy.
- Hair fall and irregular menstrual cycle.
- Disturbed sleep.
- Emotionally disturbed, fear, anxiety, depression and socially withdrawn.
- Suicidal tendency.
- Life threatening conditions like severe anaemia, electrolyte imbalance and bone fractures may occur in extreme condition.
Management of Eating Disorders
- Cultivate healthy eating habits and avoid dieting on your own. Talk to your nutritionist about your diet plans.
- Avoid skipping meals or fasting.
- Don’t stay alone. Be socially active and mingle with your family and friends.
- Exercise with proper guidance of an expert.
- Avoid measuring your weight repeatedly.
- Follow the guidance of your doctor promptly and attend counselling classes as a part of therapy.
- Reduce your stress by regularly practising yoga and meditation.
In Ayurveda, Panchakarma therapies, deepana and pachana drugs are beneficial.
- Panchakarma therapies like Abhyanga, Shiro dhara, Shastika shali pinda sveda helps to nourish the body.
- Brahmi, Ashwagandha, Yashtimadhu, Amalaki, etc. are beneficial.
- Do regular body massage with Ksheerabala taila or Balaswagandhadi tailam.
- Drink ginger tea to improve your appetite.
- Include at least 1 tsp of ghee, glass of milk and buttermilk in your diet daily.
- To correct your appetite, you can take Hingvastaka churna, Talisapatradi churna, etc.
- To recover from low body weight, you can take Amalaki rasayana, Kushmanda rasayana, Drakshadi lehyam, etc once your appetite is corrected.
- Bonton granules can be taken daily with milk to improve bone health.
- Manage anaemia with Xerfer capsules.
To get more information and to buy ayurvedic products to help manage eating disorders, please click the links below: