Mosquito, Flea, Bedbug, Spider, Ant, Scorpion, Honey bee, Indian wasp and Indian hornet bites are the most common insect bites seen in India.
Signs and Symptoms of Insect Bites
Most insect bites cause mild reactions as below:
- Swelling in the area of insect bite.
- Appearance of rashes.
Sometimes you may observe the following signs and symptoms. If you see any of these signs or symptoms, you need to report to your doctor immediately without delay as it could otherwise prove fatal.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Swelling of your lips, eyelids and throat.
- Giddiness or fainting.
- Increased heart beat.
- Hives all over your body.
Management of Insect Bites
- You can apply Aloe vera gel or pure honey on the affected area to relieve itching and burning sensation.
- Immediately move away from the site to avoid more bites.
- If you are able to see the stinger, try to remove it using a plucker.
- Wash the sting area with soap under running water.
- Apply a cold pack or ice cube to prevent swelling.
- Apply the neem paste or neem powder or tulsi leaves paste with a pinch of pure turmeric locally.
- Internally you can take Bilwadi vati and cold infusion of sariva or usheera. You can also rub this tablet with water on a rough surface to get a fine paste and apply on the affected area.
- Burn a small piece of dry coconut till it is charred completely. You will notice collyrium like paste when it's done. Apply this on the site of the sting.