Every woman experiences sexual issues at some point of time and it may occur at any stage of your life – may be after childbirth, during menopause or after surgery or any illness. Your sexual health is important for your physical and mental well being.
Causes of Women’s Sexual Health Issues
- Emotional disturbance like anxiety, depression and stress.
- Low self- esteem.
- Previous history of sexual abuse/ trauma/ painful experience.
- Lack of sex education and privacy.
- Poor relationship with the partner.
- Social taboo and religious issues.
- Certain diseases like diabetes, hypertension, abnormal thyroid levels, etc.
Symptoms of Women’s Sexual Health Issues
- Painful intercourse (Dyspareunia) due to vaginismus, pelvic infections, vaginal dryness, irritation, etc.
- Lack of sexual desire.
- Orgasmic disorder.
- Aversion or fear.
Dos and Don’ts
- Talk with your partner openly about your discomfort and difficulties.
- Consult a doctor and attend couple counselling classes.
- Read books or health blogs which address sexual problems and its solution with your partner.
- Set some time of your day to relax yourself. Try to understand your body and find out the factors affecting your sexual health and your expectations.
- Do regular exercise and lead healthy lifestyle for your overall well being.
- Practise yoga and pranayama, which makes you more flexible and reduce your emotional disturbances.
Ayurvedic Management of Women’s Sexual Health Issues
The following Herbs and Ayurvedic medicines are beneficial:
Ayurvedic treatments like yoni pichu, prakshalana, uttara basti and basti are effective in treating pelvic inflammatory diseases, Vaginismus, etc.
If you have any abnormal vaginal discharge, you can go through this article for management: What to do when you see white discharge
To manage your menopausal issues, you can read this article: Ayurvedic Treatment for Menopausal Symptoms