Bad breath is medically termed as halitosis, where there is an undesirable foul odour from your mouth, but you are mostly unaware of it.
Causes of Bad Breath
- Bacterial growth due to infection of gums, tooth decay or mouth sores and accumulated food particles.
- Chronic sinusitis/ tonsillitis.
- Dry mouth.
- Mouth breathing.
- Poor oral hygiene.
- Smoking and tobacco chewing.
- Raw consumption of onions, garlic and other strong flavoured foods.
- Certain medications.
- Certain conditions like cancer, acid reflux, chronic indigestion and constipation.
Management of Bad Breath
- Brush twice daily with an antibacterial toothpaste or neem/ khadira/ babul stick.
- Clean your tongue daily with a tongue scraper.
- Gargle twice daily to cleanse your throat.
- Rinse your mouth after each meal.
- Drink sufficient amount of fluids.
- If you have tooth decay treat it properly.
- Minimize the use of onion, garlic, coffee, tea and other pitta provoking foods.
- Avoid alcohol consumption, smoking and tobacco chewing.
- Bite and chew an amla or apple daily.
Home Remedies for Bad Breath
- Practise oil pulling with Irimedadi taila or sesame oil daily once. It reduces bacterial growth in your mouth.
- Gargle with Triphala or Yashtimadhu kashayam.
- If you have constipation take Avipattikar churna or Triphala churna internally.
- To improve your digestion and to reduce flatulence you can try Hingvastaka churna, Lavan bhaskar churna, Ajmodadi churna, Trikatu churna, Gandharvahasthadi kashayam, Dhanvantara vati, etc.
- You can also drink decoction prepared from coriander and fennel seeds.
- Massage your gums with herbal powder.
- You can chew Khadiradi vati or cardamom or clove with betel leaves or fennel seeds or cumin.
- You can try shitali, shitkari and sadanta pranayama.
If you are suffering from chronic sinusitis, tonsillitis or periodontitis you need to undergo proper treatment.