Body odour is an unpleasant smell emitted from your body. This can be due to several reasons.
Causes of Body Odour
- Profuse sweating.
- Growth of bacteria on your skin.
- Hormonal changes.
- Lack of personal hygiene.
- Wearing unwashed clothes.
- Certain medical conditions like obesity, diabetes, etc.
- Taking medications like antidepressants and antipsychotic drugs.
- Nervousness, anxiety and stress can make you sweat more.
According to Ayurveda, vitiation of pitta dosha, medo dhatu (adipose tissue) and consumption of more pitta aggravating foods like spicy, oily, deep fried foods, garlic, onion, etc., are the cause of body odour.
Management of Body Odour
- Bathe regularly with a neem based soap to kill bacteria. During summer, take shower twice a day.
- After bath, you can dust talcum powder or massage rose water till it is absorbed into your skin.
- You can apply sandal paste and rose water at night times to your palms, soles, and underarms.
- Prefer wearing light, loose cotton clothes.
- Wash and dry your clothes regularly.
- You can boil few neem leaves or neem bark in bathing water. It might help in killing the bacteria.
- Shave your underarms regularly. And scrub regularly with turmeric and besan paste.
- You can rub a piece of spatikari with water on your underarms.
- Massage your body regularly with yashtimadhu taila or chandanadi taila.
- Avoid consumption of pitta aggravating foods.
- Avoid alcohol and caffeinated drinks. Drink green tea or tea prepared with coriander seeds.
- Include cucumber, bitter gourd, snake gourd, bottle gourd, pumpkin and cilantro in your diet.
- Drink sufficient amount of water.
- You can drink lemon, watermelon and sariva juice added with sugar candy, karpooram and cardamom.
- To manage excess pitta, you can take decoction prepared of triphala, amalaki and yashtimadhu.
- Soak 1 tbsp of fenugreek seeds overnight. Next day morning drink the water in empty stomach.
- You can also try taking wheat grass internally.
- Balance your emotions and relax by doing yoga, pranayama, and meditation.
- If you are obese, reduce your body weight by diet and exercise.