Bruises or contusion is a skin discolouration caused due to skin injury. Initially, you may see reddish discolouration which turns purple to green before healing, associated with pain and tenderness.
Common Causes of Bruises
- Use of certain medications like aspirin, anticoagulants, etc.
- Low platelet counts.
- Few diseases like hemophilia, diabetes,
- Excessive physical exercise.
Home Remedies for Bruises
- As soon as you encounter an injury, place an ice cube wrapped in a piece of cotton cloth. This will reduce pain and swelling. Continue cold compress on the first day.
- Press the bruised area with a coin for few minutes.This will prevent further increase in the size of the bruise.
- Start doing warm compress with a tea bag dipped in hot water on progressive days.
- Apply aloe vera gel or butter on the affected area.
- Crush and grind coriander leaves and apply locally.
- Drink milk boiled with turmeric.
- Eat foods rich in vitamin C.
If you are facing bruises repeatedly, you can take medicines like Vasa, Sariva, Chandana, Usheera, Pravala or mukta pishti.
Prevention of Bruises
- Avoid repeatedly taking painkillers or any other self-medications.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol and smoking.
- Avoid excess intake of salt and spicy foods.
- Eat healthy foods rich Vitamin C, K, and bioflavonoids to strengthen your blood vessels.