ADHD stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders, it is a behavioural disorder seen in children, teens and it may continue in adulthood also.
A screening study conducted in Delhi reveals there are 112 children have ADHD out of 1000.
Causes of ADHD
- ADHD can inherit in a family through genes.
- Foetal exposure to environmental pollutants like lead, pesticides and other toxic substances.
- Smoking, tobacco and alcohol consumption during pregnancy.
- Emotional disturbance, social isolation and maternal stress.
- Premature birth, low birth weight, head injury and other birth complications.
- Use of artificial flavours, food additives, colours, etc.
Symptoms of ADHD
- Unable to pay attention in school and lack of learning ability.
- Difficulty in focusing on any tasks, lack of patience.
- Lose their belongings easily.
- Constantly moving, running, jumping, talking, etc.
- Mood swings, unusual excitement.
Management of ADHD
- Administration of psychostimulant medicines.
- Educating the parents and other family members about the disorder and its management.
- Behavioural training.
- Involve them in exercise, yoga, meditation and breathing practise.
Ayurvedic Management of ADHD
In Ayurveda, there are various medicines and therapies which are beneficial in the betterment of ADHD.
- Ashwagandha, Brahmi, Kapikacchu, Yashtimadhu, Mandukaparni, Shankhapushpi and other medhya drugs are effective.
- Ghee preparations like Brahmi ghrita, Kalyanaka and maha kalyanaka gritha
- Ashwagandharishta, Saraswatarishta and Draksharishta.
- Ashwagandha rasayana, Brahmi rasayana and Kushmanda rasayana
- Shirodhara, Nasya, Shiro Pichu, thalam and regular abhyanga can be done.
Precautions During Pregnancy to Prevent ADHD
- Undergo detoxification therapy before planning the pregnancy.
- Follow healthy lifestyle during your pregnancy.
- Avoid artificial foods, preservatives canned and frozen foods.
- Avoid smoking, tobacco, alcohol consumption and unnecessary medications.
- Drink filtered water to prevent lead and other toxic substance contamination.
- Adopt Ayurvedic prenatal tips.