Bone spurs are also termed as osteophytes. It is the extra growth of your bone along the edges of the bone. Commonly seen in joints, spine, and heels.
Causes of Bone Spurs
- Osteoarthritis and other degenerative conditions of bone.
- Inflammation of tendons, ligaments and fascia around the joints.
- Constant pressure, irritation or stress on the bones.
Symptoms of Bone Spurs
- Pain and tenderness.
- Difficulty in joint movements.
- A bone spur in your vertebral column can exert pressure on your nerves leading to numbness, weakness in your arms or legs.
- Few bone spurs are asymptomatic and are accidentally detected in X-ray.
Management of Bone Spurs
- If the bone spur is affecting your joint movements and pinching your nerves, you need to undergo surgery.
- In heel spur, use proper fitting shoes, MCP sandals and heel pad. You can soak your foot in warm water with salt to ease pain.
- Do exercise to strengthen the muscles around the affected joints.
Ayurvedic Management of Bone Spurs
- Ayurvedic treatment procedure like agnikarma, dhanyamla sweda, lepa and upanaha are more effective.
- Internally you can take Rasnadi Kashayam, Rasnairandadi Kashayam, Rasnasaptakam Kashayam, Dashamoola, Yogaraja guggulu and Kaishore guggulu to reduce pain.
- Do regular oil massage with Mahanarayana taila, Dhanvantara taila or Murivenna.
- Apply garlic paste over the heel, for heel spurs, and cover with castor leaves to relieve pain.
Prevention of Bone Spurs
According to Ayurveda, bone spur is caused due to vitiation of vata dosha. Hence, avoid all vata aggravating factors like excessive walking in bare foot, travelling, awakening at night times, consuming very dry foods always, mental worry and stress.
Mahanarayana Oil to reduce vata dosha
- Best oil to reduce vata
- Strengthens bones and joints
- Acts as pain reliever
- Eases stiffness of the muscles, ligaments and tendons
- Supports easy movement of the joints
- Retards ageing
Apply to affected parts of the body 1 to 2 times per day.Heat up or warm gently in your hands and apply liberally as a massageoil. Allow to absorb into your skin for at least half an hour. Wash off ifrequired after use.
To pacify the vitiated vata, include ghee, sesame oil, jeera, ginger, garlic and pepper in your cooking. Do regular body massage with sesame oil, get enough rest and overcome mental stress.