Chickenpox is a highly contagious viral infection caused by the Varicella zoster. It usually affects the children of age group 4- 10 years. If you had chickenpox you will develop immunity against the virus for your lifetime.
Causes of Chickenpox
Chickenpox spreads from an infected person to your children by direct contact or by droplets expelled while coughing, sneezing and breathing into the air.
Signs and Symptoms of Chickenpox
- Tiredness and ill feeling.
- Low appetite.
- Headache and body pains.
- Red rashes which develop into the fluid filled vesicles.
- Vesicles burst opens and heal.
- Complications like a bacterial infection, pneumonia, dehydration and shock.
Ayurvedic Management of Chickenpox
- Trim the nails of your children and prevent them from scratching the rashes.
- Smear honey for the blisters in the mouth.
- Boil neem leaves and turmeric in bathing water and give a bath in lukewarm water. Hot water bath should be avoided.
- You can apply neem leaves paste, aloe vera gel, and turmeric to reduce itching and heal the blisters.
- Give light and easily digestible food like softly cooked rice, gruel, porridge, barley water, moong dal soup, etc. Avoid spicy and oily foods.
- Avoid sending them to school or outside.
- Let them wear light, loose cotton clothes. Wash the clothes well with an antiseptic solution.
- Boil dry ginger powder, coriander seeds, musta, Tulsi in water and give it for drinking few sips every one hour.
- To reduce itching you can give haridra khanda with lukewarm water twice a day.
- Sudarshana churna, Guduchi will help in managing fever.
If the temperature is too high and there is secondary bacterial infection, you need to take the child to the nearest hospital immediately.