The gallbladder is a small sac-like structure located beneath your liver, which stores the bile juice produced by the liver and releases into the small intestine during digestion.
Gallstones (cholelithisasis), Cholecystitis (inflammation of the gallbladder), Cholestasis (stagnation of bile juice), and gallbladder cancer are the gallbladder diseases.
Gallstones are the hardened deposits of bile juice. It may be a single large stone or tiny multiple stones.
Causes of Gallbladder Diseases
- Excess cholesterol and bilirubin in the bile.
- Females in their 40s are more prone to gallstones.
- Being obese or diabetic.
- Consuming more fatty foods.
- Certain medications like hormonal pills, medicines used to lower cholesterol.
Symptoms of Gallbladder Diseases
Few will not have any signs and symptoms.
- Sudden pain on right side and upper part of your abdomen.
- Pain may increase after meals.
- Radiating pain between your shoulders and near the right shoulder blade.
- Yellowish discolouration of skin and eyes.
- Clay coloured stools and dark urine.
- Nausea and vomiting.
- Stomach bloating.
Management of Gallbladder Diseases
- If you don’t have any signs and symptoms, surgery is not required. If the stone is large, obstructing the bile flow and leading to pain and inflammation, you may need surgery.
- To alleviate colic pain, place a piece of cotton over your abdomen soaked in warm castor oil or Dhanvantara taila.
- Ayurvedic medicines like Varanadi kashayam, Trikatu, Apamarga, Triphala are beneficial in eliminating tiny stones.
Prevention of Gallbladder Diseases
- Consume horse gram soup added with ginger and jeera often.
- Never skip your meals and avoid irregular food habits. Try to maintain your meal pattern regularly.
- If you are obese, lose excess weight.
- Maintain your body weight by regular exercise.
- Avoid junk and deep fried foods. Eat more vegetables and fruits.
- Avoid curds and use well-churned buttermilk. Reduce the intake of milk products.
- Ayurvedic medicines like punarnava, Musta, Shilajit and Katuki can be taken for few days regularly.