Hookworm infection is caused due to parasites (Ancylostoma duodenale and Necator americanus) affecting your small intestine.
Causes of Hookworm Infection
- Poor sanitation.
- Contamination of soil by infected human excreta.
- Lack of personal hygiene.
- Walking barefoot may lead to penetration of larvae.
- Eating contaminated street foods.
- Consuming fruits and vegetables without proper washing.
Symptoms of Hookworm Infection
- Pain abdomen.
- Stomach cramps.
- Low appetite.
- Nausea and diarrhoea.
- Itching and skin rashes.
- Blood in your stools.
- Anaemia and weakness.
- Nutritional deficiency leading to weight loss.
- Protein loss may lead to accumulation of fluid in the abdomen and all over the body.
Ayurvedic Management of Hookworm Infection
- Include ajwain, garlic, turmeric, asafoetida, pepper in your cooking.
- Consume bitter vegetables, moringa leaves, papaya and bael fruit regularly.
- Ayurvedic medicines like Krimi Kuthar rasa, vidanga churna, vidangasava, katuki, pippali, trikatu, triphala hingvastaka churna and neem are effective.
- Minimise the intake of red meat, curds, milk products, foods prepared out of maida and other flours.
Prevention of Hookworm Infection
- Improve sanitation in your locality.
- Avoid walking barefoot.
- Cook meat well before consuming.
- Wash your hands well before consuming foods.
- Trim your nails regularly.
- Wash fruits and vegetables before eating.