Meningitis is an inflammatory condition of meninges. Meninges is a membrane which covers and protects your brain and spinal cord.
Causes of Meningitis
- Bacteria (streptococcus pneumoniae, Neisseria meningitidis, Haemophilus influenzae, etc) virus (Herpes or enteroviruses) and fungus are the causative organisms.
- Weak immune power.
- Incomplete vaccination.
- Certain tumors, chemicals and medications.
Symptoms of Meningitis
- High fever.
- Severe and unusual headache.
- Neck stiffness.
- Loss of appetite and vomiting.
- Intolerance to light.
- It may lead to complications like brain damage, deafness and death.
Management of Meningitis
- Administration of antibiotics/ antiviral medicines. You may require diuretics and anticonvulsants.
- You may require IV fluids and oxygenation.
- If the temperature is too high, you can do cold compress.
- Complete rest.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Meningitis
The following Ayurvedic medicines are supportive in the treatment of Meningitis:
- Guluchyadi Kashayam
- Amruthotharam Kashayam
- Indukantham Kashayam
- Sudarshan vati
- Mahasudarshan churna
- Tribhuvan kirti rasa
You can take tulsi extract with honey twice a day.
Prevention of Meningitis
- Lead a healthy lifestyle by eating fresh fruits, greens and vegetables to improve your immunity.
- Avoid drinking unpasteurised milk.
- Cook your vegetables and meat well.
- Drink purified water.
- Wash your hands well before eating.
- Avoid sharing others’ spoon, utensils, toothbrush, etc.