A heart attack is medically termed as Myocardial infarction (MI) or Acute myocardial infarction (AMI). The coronary artery is the main artery for blood supply to your cardiac muscle. When one or more of this artery is blocked, your cardiac muscle will be deprived of oxygen and nutrients leading to the death of the muscles causing MI. It can be life-threatening.
Causes of Heart Attack
- Atherosclerosis, due to fat deposition.
- Blood clot.
- Constriction of the arteries due to certain drugs, tobacco, cocaine, etc.
- Uncontrolled diabetes, blood pressure, cholesterol levels.
- Lack of physical exercise.
- Unhealthy eating habits.
Symptoms of Heart Attack
- Pain in your chest spreading to your arms, neck and jaw. The intensity of pain varies in each individual from mild to severe.
- Sometimes attack may be silent without any pain.
- Pain on exertion.
- The sense of pressure/ tightness in the chest.
- Nausea/ vomiting.
- Difficulty in breathing.
- Feeling dizzy.
Management of Heart Attack
- You may require immediate hospitalisation.
- Medicines to manage pain and to dilute the clots.
- Few may require surgery.
In Ayurveda, there are various medicines available for prevention of MI and to improve your cardiac health.
- Lasunadi Kashayam, Astavarga Kashayam and Dashamoolakatutraya Kashayam.
- Arjunarishta, Dashamoolarishta and Draksharishta.
- Navaka guggulu, Rasonadi vati, Shuddha guggulu, Lo-medus, Garcinia, Hrudved capsules and Medohar capsules.
- Arjuna and Dashamoola churna
Prevention of Heart Attack
- Include more fruits, vegetables, garlic, flax seeds, barley and other whole grains.
- Avoid red meat.
- Drink well churned buttermilk. Avoid more intake of curds and milk products.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Do regular physical exercise.
- Manage your stress by yoga, meditation and pranayama.
- Maintain healthy body weight.
- If you have diabetes/ blood pressure/ cholesterol take proper medications.