Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune neurological, degenerative disease affecting your brain and spinal cord. The immune system damages the myelin sheath of the nerve fibres leading to permanent nerve damage, loss of communication between your brain and other parts of the body.
Causes of Multiple Sclerosis
The exact cause of multiple sclerosis is not known clearly.
- Certain infections, vitamin D deficiency, and smoking may put you at risk for multiple sclerosis.
Signs and Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis
- Weakness in your limbs.
- Muscular spasms.
- Pain, numbness and other abnormal sensations.
- Problem in your vision like double vision, pain during eyeball movements.
- Loss of balance and feeling giddy.
- Slurred speech.
- Unable to control bladder and bowel movements.
How to Prevent Progression of Multiple Sclerosis
Even though multiple sclerosis cannot be cured, certain treatment procedures and lifestyle changes definitely prevent further progression or relapse of the disease.
- Manage pain and weakness by taking sufficient rest.
- Keep yourself active physically and mentally.
- Do regular exercise according to your capacity.
- Relieve your stress by doing yoga, meditation and pranayama.
- Balance your emotional status. Mingle with your family and friends.
- Cultivate new hobbies of your choice.
- Eat healthy foods rich in protein and omega-3 fatty acids like fish, eggs, and nuts.
- Avoid hot water bath, steam or sauna bath. Excess heat can worsen your condition.
- Stop smoking and alcohol consumption.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
In Ayurveda, there are internal medications and treatment procedures which can prevent further degeneration. The administration of medicines depends on the individual and the stage of the disease, for which you need to undergo evaluation by an Ayurvedic physician.
- Treatment procedures include annalepa, shirodhara, abhyanga, ksheera dhara, nasyam and basti.
- Netra tarpana to improve your vision.
- Guluchyadi kashayam, Dhanwantaram kashayam, Bala churna, Sahacharadi taila, Ksheera bala taila, Ashwagandha rasayana, Sarasvata ghritam are effective.