Your hair is said to be damaged when it loses its natural shine and texture.
Causes of Hair Damage
- Excessive combing.
- Combing wet hair.
- Repeated hair straightening, curling, perming, etc.
- Use of harsh hair products and chemical colours.
- Lack of conditioning.
- Vigorous massaging and rubbing with towels.
- Tight hair styles and using more hair accessories.
- Nutritional deficiency.
- Exposure to dust and polluted environment.
- Using excess hot and chlorinated water for hair wash.
Signs and Symptoms of Damaged Hair
- Dry and brittle hair.
- Easily breaks.
- Rough texture.
- Frizzy and hard to detangle.
- More split ends.
Ayurvedic Management of Damaged Hair
- Oil your hair regularly. Leave the oil on your hair for 1 hour before hair wash.
- Use olive oil, almond oil, coconut oil, Nilibhringadi oil, Bhringamalakadi taila, etc.
- Use mild, herbal based shampoo. Dilute the shampoo with water before applying to your hair.
- Use a wide toothed comb to detangle your hair.
- Trim your hair little every three months.
- Apply egg to your damaged hair weekly once.
- Eat protein, mineral, vitamin E and antioxidant rich foods.
- Include spinach, curry leaves, egg, milk and amla in your diet.
- Ayurvedic supplements like Amalaki, Triphala, Dhatri loha, Mandoora, Amalaki rasayana, Chyawanprash and Narasimha rasayana are beneficial to promote your hair health.
- Try natural conditioners like aloe vera gel, hibiscus flowers, and henna.
- Let the hair dry itself. Avoid using the hair dryer.
- Cover your hair to protect from dust and pollutants.
- Wash your hair after strenuous workout and swimming.