Ear wax is the natural defensive mechanism of your body to protect your ears from dirt and bacteria. Ear wax falls off naturally during your sleep and is replaced by new wax.
You need not remove it using ear buds, etc. In fact, such activities pushes the wax further down and may cause impaction leading to ear blockage.
Symptoms of Ear Block
- Pain in the ear.
- Discomfort and feeling of fullness in your ear.
- Decreased hearing ability.
- Feeling dizzy.
- Abnormal ringing sound in the ear.
If you have impacted ear wax, please visit your doctor for removal. Avoid trying to remove wax yourself using hairpins, buds, etc, it may damage your eardrums.
If your ear wax is dried up, you can put few drops of baby oil or Bilva taila. If you have perforated ear drums or any previous history of ear discharge don’t do this without doctor’s consultation.
To loosen the wax, you can massage in and around external ears with warm sesame oil.
It is ideal to clean only your external ears with a soft towel after bath.
Ear infection is termed as otitis media, it is an inflammatory condition of your middle ear associated with or without ear discharge.
Causes of Ear Infection
- Bacterial or viral infection.
- Recurrent asthma attacks, sinusitis, tonsillitis or adenoiditis.
- Improper feeding technique in infants precipitates ear infection.
- Chronic exposure to pollution, cold weather and allergens.
- Low immune power.
Symptoms of Ear Infections
- Constant pain in the ear.
- Pulling sensation in the ear.
- Diminished hearing ability.
- Disturbed sleep.
Ayurvedic Management of Ear Infections
- Give warm compress to your ear with a towel dipped in hot water or do fumigation with turmeric root, guggulu, etc.
- Do steam inhalation with eucalyptus oil and gargling with saltwater or Triphala kashayam twice daily.
- Include turmeric, ginger, garlic and pepper more in your diet.
- Triphala guggulu, Guggulu pancapalam churna, Yashtimadhu, Haridra Khanda, Sitopaladi churna and Dashamoola are beneficial.
- Avoid exposure to cold weather. Wear scarf and warm clothes.
- Avoid curds, refrigerated foods and cold drinks. Drink warm water.
- You can also sip Ginger- tulsi tea twice daily.
- You can undergo Nasya, Karna poorna, Karna dhoopana, khavala treatments to prevent recurrence.
Severe ear infection may lead to deafness. Hence, proper treatment is necessary.