Bhramari Pranayama is also called as “Bee breath” can help you improve concentration and focus, reduce hypertension and rejuvenate you.
The word “Bhramari” refers to the humming sound of the Indian Black Bee. The humming sound is effective in instantly calming down the mind. It is one of the best breathing exercises to free the mind of agitation, frustration or anxiety and get rid of anger to a great extent.
How does it help you?
The vibrations that are produced while humming is said to calm the brain and neurons by creating a soothing effect. It calms the nerves. By these vibrations the cerebral cortex sends impulses directly to the hypothalamus, which controls the ‘Pituitary’ gland, the master of all glands. The resonance of the brain’s metaphysical thinking is taken out and this enhances capacity of brain.
Benefits of Bhramari Pranayama?
- Reduces blood pressure
- Calms the mind
- Improves concentration and awareness
- Tones the nervous system
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Balances hormones in the body
- It is known to have increased the pulmonary functions
- Helps in the management of Alzheimer’s disease,insomnia diabetes, migraine and thyroidism.
- Facilitates easy child birth when practiced regularly through the pregnancy tenure.
How to do Bhramari Pranayama?
- Sit cross-legged on the floor.
- Plug both your ears with your thumbs.
- Place your index finger over your eyebrows.
- Place middle fingers on both your eyes.
- Place ring fingers on the base of nostrils.
- Place little fingers on cheeks.
- Inhale through both nostrils.
- Slowly exhale while humming a low sound like the buzzing of a bee.
- You can also make a low-pitched sound but it is a good idea to make a high-pitched one for better results
- Continue breathing while humming for at least 3 minutes.
- Relax, bring hands down but keep eyes closed for five minutes.
- Feel the flow of energy through your entire body
- Open eyes!
When Bhramari Pranayama has to be performed?
Ideally it can performed on an empty stomach in the morning for about 3 to 5 times everyday. It can be done upto 21 times in a day.
Precautions to be taken while doing Bhramari pranayama?
- Do not poke the ears. Gently place your fingers inside.
- Heart patients are advised to seek medical advise before performing this.
- It should not be done immediately after a meal